Tax on water bill

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by elCece » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 pm
lunarpower wrote:
mgmt_gmat wrote:The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation projects the cost of which raises water bills high enough so that even environmentalists are beginning to raise alarms.
A. the cost of which raises water bills high enough so that
B. at a cost raising water bills so high that
C. at a cost which raises water bills high enough so
D. whose cost will raise water bills so high that
E. whose cost will raise water bills high enough so that
here are a few angles from which you can attack this problem.

1) VERB TENSE
the treatment and conservation projects described in the sentence have been proposed. the implication, then, is that these projects have not yet been implemented; therefore, any verb describing the effects of the projects must appear in the future tense.
this observation will eliminate (a), (b), and (c), each of which implies that the cost is already raising water bills in the present, or has already raised those bills.
(A and C literally contain the present tense, while B contains a -ING modifier that automatically adopts the tense of the main clause -- in this case, the present perfect.)

2) REDUNDANCY
you can't use both "enough" and "so" in the same description; each of these alone is sufficient to articulate the desired meaning.
this observation is enough to eliminate (a), (c), and (e).

3) "WHICH", OR OTHER MODIFIERS CONTAINING "WHICH", MUST BE PRECEDED BY A COMMA
(c) contains an instance of "which" that is not preceded by a comma -- instant elimination.
the same goes for "each of which", "from which", "of which", etc. -- so we can also eliminate (a), since "the cost of which" falls into the same category.

Ron, you said that "WHICH", OR OTHER MODIFIERS CONTAINING "WHICH", MUST BE PRECEDED BY A COMMA.

could you please tell me whether this statement is still true today? or is it an old rule?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:41 am
if the modifier starts with "which", it should be preceded by a comma.
(in the standard american usage endorsed by GMAC, "which" without a comma becomes "that".)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:42 am
on the other hand, "in which", "from which", "to which", etc. can appear either with or without a comma:
I saw a play that was reviewed in the local newspaper.
I saw a play in which one of my friends plays a starring role.

("in" + "that" = "in which")

I need to buy the assigned textbook, which contains all the problems that will be assigned in the course.
I need to buy the assigned textbook, in which all the assigned problems can be found.

("in" + ", which" = ", in which")
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron