Suggestions for help on quantitative question set up please

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have been reviewing for the GMAT on an off for the past month and have now come to the quantitative section and find myself constantly hitting a brick wall. As I go through the problems I have come to the conclusion that it's not that I don't know how to solve the problems, but rather how setting up each problem. For the most part, I can do all the problems once they're set up with no problem, as a result I bought Barrons Book hoping its math section could do me some good. Instead its simply a math review of concepts that I already know and not a guide on how to figure out equation set up. My question is, are there any special books that focus on how to analyze the problems and set up the equations rather than simply being a simple math review? Is this a skill that comes with practice as I have done some 100-150 questions and still find myself having to look at the back for how to set up the problem which I then proceed to solve myself. Any constructive input/criticism would greatly be appreciated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by noogles » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 am
Hi Krish, I suggest that you use a tool like the one I built (self promotion), to self-analyze your weaknesses. Then approach a tutor that can help you strengthen your approaches on the problem types that give you trouble. One on one tutoring is the way to go. Preferably your tutor has scored at least a 780. This method helped bring my score into the 700s.

The site I'm suggesting is a free database of hundreds of quant questions, and it will track how you're doing: https://testsandtutors.com

best of luck

noogles