Struggling to choose between 2yr and 1 yr MBA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I took my GMAT and scored 720 (Q:49, V:40). I have over 9 years of work experience and have been in a lead role for over 3 years and with international experience of about 5 years. I am planning to apply to B schools this fall and am struggling to choose between 1 yr and 2 yr MBA programs. I have a technology background and plan to go back to technology after my MBA, but move to a different role...Mktg/Prod Mgmt. So, the domain(Tech) will remain the same but my role will change. What do you think I should go for - 1 yr or 2 yr MBA ?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 am
Congratulations on your GMAT score! It sounds like you also have solid work experience. I'd be interested to hear which specific programs you are planning to target. When you say "one-year program" - what are you referring to? Do you mean an EMBA (Executive MBA) or a program like the condensed Columbia degree or INSEAD?

Personally, I am biased (I did a traditional two-year program at Chicago Booth), but, if you plan to continue working for your same company initially, an EMBA might make sense (especially for someone with your level of experience).

Provide some additional details and I'll try to give you more pros/cons!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Pediasure » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:50 am
Hi Jessica,

Thank You for your reply.

I was talking about the one year MBAs likes the ones at INSEAD, Kellogg (Accl MBA), LBS (not 1 year, but 15 months), Indian School of Business..etc. I do not plan to do an EMBA.

Thanks,
P

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:26 am
If EMBA is not in your plans, then yes you will be a very good applicant for the accelerated programs or 1 year programs.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

by Pediasure » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 am
Thank You Hari. The question I am struggling with is what MBA should I apply to - The European/ISB 1 year MBA or 2 year MBA in US. I hear that foreign students are finding it increasingly hard to get jobs in the US after MBA because many companies are not ready to sponsor H1s.

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:25 am
I agree that you are a good candidate for accelerated programs, however, I would just want to make sure you are making this choice for the right reason. Do not avoid a two-year program simply based on your age. There are many "older" students who attend. Remember - it could be the last time you take a 2 year "break"! School is busy, but, it is actually very fun. You might enjoy the two year experience (and I think anyone can benefit from an internship).

I don't mean to take away from accelerated programs, the programs you mentioned are fantastic, but, you would have more options with 2-year and you might really enjoy it.

Signed,
a 2-year Chicago Booth alumna
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by istuti » Thu May 06, 2010 8:33 pm
Hi P,

Congrats on your GMAT score!

I have been researching about 1 yr programs as well and would like to share some thoughts.

1. If you are moving from project management experience into product management/marketing role then it might be considered as a shift by big hi-tech vendors like apple, yahoo etc.

2. If your work exp has been dealing mostly with NA customers and your orientation is toward US market then an MBA from US would help more. Esp since most good hi-tech companies are situated there.

3. I assume you'd have a Bach in Tech maybe Comp Sc. : Given that your theoretical understanding of business and finance concepts would be weak that might hurt your chances for 1 yr programs. Most prefer candidated who have business background either through education or work exp.

4. For Kellogg: You'd need to cover around 6-7 subjects which focus on business management and finance to be eligible to apply.

5. INSEAD: Its more of a consulting oriented school. So they prefer to take up candidates with consulting background or who might fit into the consulting world in a good way.

6. Also, most top schools look for Tier-1 University for undergrad and your GPA there.

7. 2 year programs would make your net wider in terms of school choices and career path changes. Esp since you don't have business background it'd help to understand more deeply about business. There is an approximate 50K USD difference between 1yr and 2 yr. But, I'd say its worth it given the once-in-a-lifetime experience of 2 yr education with the brightest minds!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Istuti

by Pediasure » Fri May 07, 2010 2:49 am
Istuti,

Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
P