Strategies for a weak Quant

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Strategies for a weak Quant

by beter2jump » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:23 pm
Hi I took my Actual GMAT but scored quite low in the Quant section. I have studied through many books but did not finish anyone ... just moving from one to other ....

What are some of the best books helpful in Quant section.

Will appreciate any help,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Strategies for a weak Quant

by chetanojha » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:15 pm
beter2jump wrote:Hi I took my Actual GMAT but scored quite low in the Quant section. I have studied through many books but did not finish anyone ... just moving from one to other ....

What are some of the best books helpful in Quant section.

Will appreciate any help,
Best approach is not to move from one book to another. You may find few topics explained better in one book and few in another,but if switching material will leave you confused.
Second suggestion, would be to time your practise.Do 40 questions in 1 hours. Use GMAT Timer of this forum to record you time. I have done this and found that under time-pressure I was making silliest mistakes in the world e.g. calculating the answer correct but selecting the wrong answer or not converting miles to kilometer etc.
One you time your practise questions, try and work out questions which you got wrong or which you took long time to complete.

Timed practise and covering area where you struggled is only way forward to improve score.

Regarding books, I find MGMAT series is quite good for Quant section due to it's structure approach and good explaination.

Also check Ursula's Grid. It is very helpful.