sprained ankle

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:670

sprained ankle

by uptowngirl92 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:55 am
It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and
(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and

[spoiler]OA:D??!
HOW?!!?I eliminated D and E at a go c's how can the "only thing" be THREE things?!!![/spoiler]

Followed by:3 members

Re: sprained ankle

by kaulnikhil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:03 am
uptowngirl92 wrote:It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and ---parallel
(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and to missing
----not parallel

[spoiler]OA:D??!
HOW?!!?I eliminated D and E at a go c's how can the "only thing" be THREE things?!!![/spoiler]
[b[/b]

GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 am
IMO C.
As already said, D and E should be eliminated... :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bstalling » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 am
The question in my mind was what does one refer to in the three options, since "that" usually precedes a noun clause, the one thing seems more logical as a noun is specifically a person place or thing, while one is ambiguous, although intuitively it refers to a person....

in terms of the parallelism, leave it, ice it, and lie with it...

Thats how it all sounded in my head

by gmatv09 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:24 pm
In C, the following part - "...while it heals itself, and then ice it and", doesn't sound correct.

D maintains parallelism (as mentioned in earlier posts)

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by sunnyjohn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 pm
Hmm, Well Let me highlight you something unseen here.

i found the meaning is a kind of suggestion here.
SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD.

so clause after That needs to have 'bare' form of the verb. Means if verb is "to be", we need only "be".

So B and E are out, Because of usage of "to leave".

(A) Out : Using "to" in the third element of PARALLEL construction.

Main Contestant are C and D:

Parallel elements:
leave it
then ice it
lie with it

(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and lie with it

Parallel elements:
leave it
ice it
lie with it

I think you know what is answer now..!

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:00 am
I didnt quite understand the explaination ... first why A,B,C are eliminated ... Is "all one can do ...." usage wrong?
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:37 am
Hi, guys - received a PM asking me to respond, but no source is listed. Please cite the author and I'll be happy to respond!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:740

by 2010gmat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 am
i guess discussion boils down to C and D ... D wins if we apply rules of parallelism but if we apply logic then c wins....as already mentioned we can't list out 3 things after saying that only thing reqd is ....

I dont think this is a GMAT quality ques...all choices have some sort of error...

wats the source??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akhilkathuria » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 am
Hey Stacy,
Can you please explain why C is incorrect.
As far as the E goes. I think if we put to at the end should make the E option correct. am i right?
Please suggest?
(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and to

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm
Can't reply until we get the source... :(
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 pm
Source:1000SC.We all know that the answers are not relaible but then too a good question to get the concepts straight..
Sorry Stacey I know you advice against 1000Sc cos of the disputed OA :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 am
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 1000 SC. That source does contain old official questions, but even if this one is an old official question, I think it would have long since been dropped. While, in idiomatic English, we can say "the only thing" and then list three grouped things that happen together, this question introduces a non-native-speaker bias for the same reason - so I really don't think something like this would show up on the real test any longer (if it once did).

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me