source: kaplan

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

source: kaplan

by jsasipriya » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:27 am
Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens transforming magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.
his camera lens transforming magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty
his camera lens magically transforming mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty
his camera lens which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty
magically transforming his camera lens into mundane, everyday items such as vegetables with resplendent beauty
his camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty
OA B

Can someone explain me why C is not the preferred choice?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yogiboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:39 am
E.

please post OA

Legendary Member

by paes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:16 am
jsasipriya

why C is wrong:

In GMAT, always there will be a comma before which.

C is missing that comma.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by indiantiger » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:25 am
usage of which is wrong.

In C it seems like camera lens is getting magically transformed into something.
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:15 am
Replacing option C to form the complete sentence

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty - This is a fragment error i think which is caused by inserting which .

OPtion B is the right selection

by Haaress » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:11 am
What the stated antecedant of "His" in the statements above.

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens magically transforming mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

The comparison should either be between the works of the two photographers of the two photographers themselves. IMO the only time the pronoun "his" would have an antecedant is in the latter.

Please clarify. Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by brijesh » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 pm
jsasipriya wrote:
Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens transforming magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.
his camera lens transforming magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty (Adverb+Noun)
his camera lens magically transforming mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty (advervb+verb) as well adverb is used here to combine the two sentences, which is prefarable then using relative clause
his camera lens which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty
magically transforming his camera lens into mundane, everyday items such as vegetables with resplendent beauty (changing meaning
his camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty (as A)

OA B

Can someone explain me why C is not the preferred choice?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:20 pm
I was asked to explain why C is incorrect. Here is answer choice C:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

Errors in C:

The pronoun which needs to be preceded by a comma.

The sentence is incomplete. The noun construction his camera lens requires its own verb in order to complete the thought. The subject of the verb transformed is the pronoun which. The camera lens requires its own verb, as in the following:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens, which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty, serving as looking glass for his photographic leaps.

In the version above, the sentence is complete because his camera lens is being put together with the verb serving.

Now here's answer choice B, the correct answer:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens magically transforming mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

In B, transforming serves as the verb for his camera lens, so the thought is complete; no additional verb is needed.

Does this help?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sanjeevsinha01 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:I was asked to explain why C is incorrect. Here is answer choice C:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

Errors in C:

The pronoun which needs to be preceded by a comma.

The sentence is incomplete. The noun construction his camera lens requires its own verb in order to complete the thought. The subject of the verb transformed is the pronoun which. The camera lens requires its own verb, as in the following:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens, which magically transformed mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty, serving as looking glass for his photographic leaps.

In the version above, the sentence is complete because his camera lens is being put together with the verb serving.

Now here's answer choice B, the correct answer:

In B, transforming serves as the verb for his camera lens, so the thought is complete; no additional verb is needed.

Does this help?

Why E is not the correct option. We are talking in past .
sanjeev sinha

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:05 am
Could someone explain why not E ?

by Haaress » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:16 am
My 2cts.

Choice E. his camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty .

Facts.
Transformed is a verb
Magically is an Adverb
Mundane is an adjective

Adverb modifies a verb. So Magically modifies transformed, but not a Adverb modifying an adjective as is the case in choice E.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:26 pm
sumanr84 wrote:Could someone explain why not E ?
Here's E:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy, his camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

Errors:

Comma Splice:
When two complete sentences are joined by a comma, we have what's known as a comma splice. In E, we have the following two complete sentences:

Photographer Edward Weston's work was akin to alchemy.
His camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday items such as vegetables into objects of resplendent beauty.

These two sentences can be joined only by a period, a semi-colon, or a colon. Remember this rule:

If a comma can be replaced by a period, the answer choice has a comma splice and can be eliminated.

Since in E we could replace the comma with a period, eliminate E.

Misplaced Modifier:
In the clause his camera lens transformed magically mundane, everyday objects, it's unclear whether magically is modifying the verb transformed or the adjective mundane.

If it's unclear what a modifier is modifying, eliminate the answer choice.

Answer choice E should read:

...his camera lens magically transformed mundane, everyday objects...

In the version above, it's clear that magically is modifying transformed.

Hope this helps!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 pm
jsaipriya

i never understand the language of experts they explain in micro level but we should understand in macro level

C is incorrect as due to following rule: 'Which' should always refer to a noun.

here which will refer to edward' work if comma is placed before which, but here which refers to his camera which is turning to something hence incorrect

now out of A and B magically transforming is better to transforming magically hence B is preferred