Should I?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I?

by shivkumarc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:53 pm
Hi,

I am trying to answer myself what to do next.

In my second attempt on 15th Nov'12 I just got 450 ,which is lesser than my first attempt of 480.

I was surprised ,since in my mock test I was scoring around 600-620 with MGMAT tests
My score for MGMAT:570,580,590,600,620,630.

My Kaplan score for Kaplan:590,600,590,610.

My GMAT Prep:590,610.

I was repeatedly making mistakes with RC,I tried improving in this section.Yet I was able to answer only main idea questions correctly during test.

On my test day the 4th question was an RC,I panicked seeing an RC at this juncture.<4th to 7th question was RC>
I took lot of time to answer these questions correctly ,as many advised that getting 1-15 questions correctly in the test will increase the score.

Again the 13th question was RC,I again took lot of time to answer these question .The RC paragraph was complicated.So again I consumed lot of time.

By the time I reached my 22 Question,I just had 18 min.I knew I had lost the battle but just went on with test.

I lost the battle because I was panicked in verbal section. My preparation for 2 months was shattered into pieces.
As I dint move on with questions.

My Quant score 40.Verbal 8.

Now I am really confused if I have to give another try or give up at this stage.

As university will also take no.of attempts ,previous score into consideration while evaluating.
My academic GPA is also below par.

But my work experience & extra activities are very strong to support my candidature.

CAN ANYONE ADVICE IF IT IS REALLY WORTH TO GIVE ANOTHER ATTEMPT.

Will good universities still consider my candidature if I get a good score in future.

Looking forward for advice

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 am
Your practice test results suggest that you should be scoring much higher than 450 on your official tests. I think you need to work on your test-taking skills (e.g., time management and reducing test anxiety). Keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills.

As for whether or not you should keep studying and pursue your dream: You're the only person who can answer this question. If going to Business School is important to you, then keep working at it.

Cheers,
Brent

Aside: Regarding time management, I suggest that you use a Milestone Chart to keep you on track. This is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

We also have a free video that deals with test anxiety: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1252
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by shivkumarc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 pm
Hi Bren,

Thanks for your suggestion.

But i would like to know if my previous score and no. of attempts will play a major role in admissions.

Please advice.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 am
shivkumarc wrote: But i would like to know if my previous score and no. of attempts will play a major role in admissions.
Schools generally only use your highest scores for admissions. Taking it multiple times is not necessairly a bad thing - it shows that you've got persistence and you're serious about getting a good score. That said, you should only take it again if you're fully prepared. Taking it more than 3-4 times without getting your desired score starts to show poor preparation/maturity.
shivkumarc wrote: On my test day the 4th question was an RC,I panicked seeing an RC at this juncture.<4th to 7th question was RC>
I took lot of time to answer these questions correctly ,as many advised that getting 1-15 questions correctly in the test will increase the score.
This is a myth. It's important to finish the test, and not spend too much time on any question.
shivkumarc wrote: My academic GPA is also below par.

But my work experience & extra activities are very strong to support my candidature.
I understand you're trying to be positive, but keep in mind that the MBA applicant pool is a cut above the general population - i.e. a lot of applicants have great work experience and extras, but are also able to combine that with a strong academic profile. Having a low GPA/low GMAT combo will be tough to overcome. You can't do anything about your undergrad grades, but you can still crack the GMAT.
Last edited by Bschool2013 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 am
I agree with Bschool2013. Most schools consider your highest score only.
Keep at it!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by shivkumarc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 pm
Hi,

I have decided to chase my dream ,will once again give my best.

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Rgds
shivkumar