Should I launch a formal complaint?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I launch a formal complaint?

by 510_At_It_Again » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 am
I took the GMAT on last Friday and I am debating about whether to launch a formal complaint with GMAC. The temperature at the testing center was sooooooo hot. It was so unbearable that the testing center associate brought in a noisy box fan to cool the room. Although it did little to change the temperature it was a distraction.

I am further disappointed that I did not achieve my target score. While I realize that the testing center conditions are not to blame, they were not helpful.

Furthermore, I left my cell phone at home and the only way to gain entry into the test center was to call the number posted outside. Thankfully, another tester arrived and I piggybacked in the building behind them.

What a disaster. On my retake, I will definitely be choosing another location for my test.

Any advice someone can offer about this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Back and better than before

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:18 am
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience!

Calling in a complaint may be a good idea just to give GMAC a heads up on the poor testing facilities, but it probably won't change anything about the test results. Re-taking your test at a more comfortable location definitely makes sense. One suggestion: try to drive by your potential testing location and see if you can peek through. You probably can't go into the facility, but maybe you'll be able to gauge the quality of the testing center from outside.

Thanks for sharing that info about bringing your cell phone. I don't recall needing to call in the center to enter, but if that's the new policy then it could screw up a bunch of people who forget their phones!

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by 510_At_It_Again » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 am
UPDATE:

I launched a formal complaint regarding the conditions at the testing center and I get to retake the test for free. I'm calling tonight to schedule my appointment with them and I will be selecting a different testing location.

Yay!!!!!!!

:o
Back and better than before

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:09 pm
Sweet, that's great! Very happy to hear you followed up. :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by rajibgmat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:39 pm
wow thats kind of cool...
I am gonna get u my love(GMAT)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LulaBrazilia » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm
510_At_It_Again wrote:UPDATE:

I launched a formal complaint regarding the conditions at the testing center and I get to retake the test for free. I'm calling tonight to schedule my appointment with them and I will be selecting a different testing location.

Yay!!!!!!!

:o
Thanks for the update. I'm a bit surprised that the situation was handled in a only a week, but I'm glad your complaint worked out well for you. A lesson to us all that we have to step up and act if we want results.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by EricKryk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm
Get Up Stand Up.... Stand up foooor your rights.....
Stand up GET UP..... Don't give up the fight!!

GMAT Score:520

by chicham » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 am
Hello!
Congrat'
I was the guy who got "Beaten by Construction"!
Just asking, exactly how long did it take them to give u this solution?
I emailed them, and they responded with a brief email saying they'd investigate.. and Im still waiting!