Sentence Grammar and Meaning

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Sentence Grammar and Meaning

by uwhusky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm
I have came across some discussions of specific OG questions, and I am confused whether I should confidently eliminate an answer base on issue with meaning alone, or whether I should strictly use grammar rules to eliminate answers.

Can one of the experts please shed some guidance to this question, perhaps a general rule of thumb?

Ps. this is unrelated to the question, but if I am making a parallel construction with "or" as conjunction, can I use whether in the first clause and if in the second clause?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:9 members

by rsadana1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 am
The correct answer choice must communicate the intended meaning. It must also be grammatically correct and it should use precise construction.

Thus, you must consider both meaning and grammatical errors when you eliminate the answer choices. Also, if one of the answer choices is grammatically correct but changes the meaning of the original sentence, then you must eliminated that answer choice.
For example, consider Question # 84, OG-12.
The original sentence states that ozone is formed in the atmosphere when A and B react with sunlight.
Choice C - incorrect per OG - states that ozone is formed in the atmosphere and when A and B react with sunlight. This choice while grammatically correct, distorts the meaning of the original sentence because it states that ozone is formed in two ways: 1) in the atmosphere and 2) when A and B react with sunlight.

You may observe similar pattern in question 115 (Gall's hypothesis) where choices B and E are deemed incorrect because they distort the meaning expressed in the original sentence.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need some more clarification.

For e-GMAT users, over 150 SC questions have been solved using a standard 3-step process that is based on both the meaning and the grammatical correctness.
Last edited by rsadana1 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT
Customized Learning Solutions for GMAT

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:21 am
Thank you for the response.

This particular question is from GMATPrep and isn't the best example for my question, but maybe you can take a look at it and offer your insight:

According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

1. minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
2. minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
3. minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
4. it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
5. it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

"Four times more likely" and "four times as likely as..." have different meaning yet the correct answer is the latter choice.

This might be an extreme example, but I recall a few other questions with similar issue that I think maybe I'll come across again today and I will post them.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 am
Yes, this is an important issue in GMAT sentence correction.

What I know:

Four times more likely = X +4X =5X= Five times as likely as.

Four times as likely = X*4 =4X.

So, there is a difference between 5X and 4X.

Would any expert explain in detail the following question?

According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice

(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing

(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing

(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice

(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

What is my analysis:

=> The use of "are" in A is optional. A cannot be eliminated on the basis of "are".
---> Why is B wrong?

D and E can be easily eliminated.

Thanks.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:57 am
I looked at that same question, and I also have questions regarding how to eliminate A. But I think you should start an independent thread for it to garner better attention.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 am
uwhusky wrote:I looked at that same question, and I also have questions regarding how to eliminate A. But I think you should start an independent thread for it to garner better attention.
Thanks.

I am going to do so soon.

Perfect.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by pnk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:53 am
Good Question. I would like more input from experts.

My learning so far is:

Grammartical Errors > Meaning > Concision {arranged in decreasing order of significance}

While selecting the correct answer my view is we look for grammatical correct sentence first, followed by keeping the original meaning intact and only then Concision

Just see whether you find it useful.
Last edited by pnk on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by pnk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 pm
Any expert opinion pls

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 pm
Hi pnk,

Your approach is correct. As I mentioned in my earlier post, one must select answer choice that is grammatically correct AND that conveys the intended meaning of the sentence.

I would suggest that you try to solve Question # 84, OG-12 and see whether your approach works well on this question.

As I always emphasize in all my solutions here at BTG and in e-GMAT courses, always understand the meaning of the sentence first. Then identify the errors in the original choice. After this analysis, review the answer choices to select the correct answer choice. Also, before you mark the correct answer, you must have solid grammatical and/or meaning based reasons to reject the wrong answer choices.

I hope I am able to answer your question. :)