Sentence Correction - Question Pack

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Sentence Correction - Question Pack

by veerocking » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:04 pm
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates,it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand
by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting
B. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be
stimulated because of increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost
C. of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it stimulate demand by
increasing supply and lowering prices, which boosts
D. of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate
demand, because it will increase supply and lower prices, thereby boosting
E. when harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be

I want the understand the construction and meaning of the sentence. Also usage of 'which' is not clear.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by crackverbal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 am
Option A - Correct Answer.
"it" refers to the entire noun phrase "improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products".

the modifier ",thereby boosting consumption" is an effect of the preceding clause "it will stimulate demand ..."

Option B - Incorrect.
"demand will be stimulated ..." - does not make it clear stimulated by what?
"because of increasing supply and lowering prices" - we do not know what causes supply to increase or prices to reduce

Option C - Incorrect.
"increasing supply and lowering prices" is plural. Hence, usage of "boosts" is incorrect.

Option D - Incorrect.
"efficiency of harvested trees + Modifier" - Illogical.
"it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply and lower prices" - this does not answer the question HOW exactly improved efficiency will stimulate demand? what we can infer from the sentence above is it causes supply to increase. This in turn leads to higher demand. but we do not know HOW the increase in demand will be brought about.

Option E - Incorrect.
"efficiency when harvested trees are converted ..." - does not answer the question efficiency of what/efficiency in doing what?
"demand will be stimulated ..." - by what? Not clear.
Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-throug ... video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
https://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 am
veerocking wrote:Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates,it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand
by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting
B. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be
C. of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it stimulate demand by
increasing supply and lowering prices, which boosts
D. of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate
demand, because it will increase supply and lower prices, thereby boosting
E. when harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be
B and E: increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost
Here, it is not crystal clear whether which serves to refer only to lowering prices or to both INCREASING SUPPLY and lowering prices.
Since A avoids this ambiguity and contains no errors, eliminate B and E.

In C, which boosts (which + SINGULAR verb) lacks a singular antecedent.
Eliminate C.

John was impressed by the efficiency of the new machine.
Here, the phrase in blue conveys the following meaning:
The new machine was efficient.
D: the improved efficiency of harvested trees
Here, the conveyed meaning -- that The TREES are efficient -- is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3