Selected for an Interview: What does it REALLY mean?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700
So I was selected for an interview for admission to the C.T. Bauer at the University of Houston.

My question is: What does it mean to be selected for an interview when the school does not select everyone for an interview?

1) Does this mean that I am border line and I need to further display skills or provide clarity in order to get in?

2) Does this somehow mean that I am viewed as a strong candidate? Note sure how to interpret this request.

My Profile:
-GMAT: 520
-GPA: 3.4 (Cum Laude)
-Degree: B.S. Mechanical Engineering - University of Houston, T.A. for Dynamics
-5 Years Project Management of Rotating Equipment ($25 Mil+ in Concurrent Projects)
-Have also Worked at: NASA, Jacobs Engineering, Panasonic Automotive in Internship roles.
-Amazing Letter of Recommendation from VP of Operations at my Company
-Letter of Recommendation from a Mechanical Engineering Professor that I graded exams and assisted.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Bschool2013 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 am
I can't speak specifically for Houston, but nowadays, business schools like to interview everyone they admit, so an interview is a very positive thing. Generally speaking, it means the Adcom liked your application enough to want to speak to you and then make a final decision - after all, a good chunk of applicants get denied admission without an interview.

I can't imagagine an Adcom at any school thinking "This candidate is so strong, we don't need to interview him/her, let's just admit."

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:41 members

by Marc@AcceptU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 am
An interview is generally a positive indicator - admissions officers use the interview in different ways though. Some use it to evaluate candidates on the border. Others use to affirm applicants that they already are likely to admit.

Regardless, it's critical that you prepare thoroughly for the interview and perform to the best of your abilities.
Marc Zawel
Founder, AcceptU
Admissions counseling from former MBA admissions officers.

Learn more about AcceptU or sign up for a complimentary
MBA admissions assessment

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gtg279v » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 pm
Thanks Marc, BSchool. This makes sense.

I figure I'm borderline considering my GMAT performance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ricecracker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 pm
If you guys don't mind me piggybacking on this question, do you think there is a VERY "rough" estimate in relation to how close you are to being accepted once you've been invited for an interview?

The details elude me at the moment, but I recall for one of the top 5 programs (I think it was Booth, but don't quote me on that), I saw a statistic that said if you get invited to an interview, at that point you have a roughly 44% chance of being admitted (obviously a huge increase compared to the ~20% chance you have when you first submit your application.) Now I know the outcome will be determined by how well the interview goes, as well as other variables like whether you're one of the candidates on the bubble or if the adcoms already have a good idea that they intend to admit you. However it would still be nice to have some ballpark estimate of how close you are.

I am very curious about this because I will be living abroad by the time I either get dinged/invited/accepted at any of my target schools. Since I will be in Asia, it could be logistically complicated to finnagle my way out of work for a few days to make a trip back to the U.S. to attend just one or two interviews.

That said, if I get an interview from one of my top choices, I will take a chance and fly right back into town just to give it my best shot (I much prefer face to face interviews as opposed to online or phone interviews).

Just wanted to know if it would be worth the risk and hassles involved. Sorry for the long post on your thread gtg279v, certainly not trying to hijack your thread, but I am also very interested to know more about the implications of getting an interview.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:18 pm
Hey ricecracker -- some quick answers for ya:

None of the schools require you to come back to the States to interview, though in many cases it can in fact be advantageous; it sends strong signals to the school about how serious you are. However, many schools can accommodate local interviews (they set you up with an alum in your region) or they will do them via telephone or Skype with video.

In all cases with schools that have the invitation-only policy, as already mentioned in this thread, getting to that stage is a very good sign. HBS has said publicly that they admit half of those interviewed, so it's even better than your 44% stat. In fact, it can be up to around 60% chances at some schools.

It might just be our perception but it seems that many of the programs seem to have accelerated their interview schedule so that they're hot and heavy in interview-mode already - this includes Yale, Ross, Wharton, Stanford, and some others too (and obviously HBS). Columbia has been interviewing for ages. Depending on where you applied (MIT?) then you may be on a more delayed cycle.

Good luck with those apps and hope this is helpful - feel free to ping us if you have further questions!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jenny2675 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:13 pm
a second interview is a good thing.
you made it past the first round.
interviews go in rounds for various reasons.
FIRST-so each level of management in a given department can give their input.
ex: 3 rounds-1st with hiring mngr who found you
2nd with immediate manager
3rd with department head
SECOND-a 2nd int may be required because HR may think someone is a good candidate, but the actual manager of the applied for position may have a different opinion.
THIRD-a 2nd interview can give a better impression. Perhaps you were nervous the first time. perhaps you were just having a "good day". also, it can allow for inconsistencies in your interviews to be questioned.
ex: 1st int you said you left last job for one reason
2nd int you say you left for a totally dif.
reason.
if you made it through the first you should have no problem with second. stay calm, positive and assertive of your capabilities!
103 interview questions and answers ( free pdf download)