Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

scratch papar on the test

This topic has 3 member replies
callousme Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
scratch papar on the test Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 am
Hi guys,
I am totally new to this GMAT thing..do they allow use of scratch paper during the exam? or do you have to do all the calculations in your head?
Thanks!

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
brianhoberg Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
25 messages
Test Date:
December
Target GMAT Score:
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am
They use dry erase sheets. I believe you get six of them and you are not required to do it all in your head.

wickely Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
81 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Go to the official site, www.mba.com -- there's a lot of good info about all aspects of the test.

I could not imagine trying to do it without scratch paper. That would be like an IQ test instead!

VP_Jim GMAT Instructor Default Avatar
Posted:
1223 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:44 pm
It's true that you get a sort of plastic-laminated paper to use as scratch paper. You write with a marker and you can't erase, so write LARGE! in case you have to cross stuff out - I think there is a definite correlation between writing tiny on scratch paper and making silly mistakes. You can always get more paper.

That said...

One of my GMAT sayings is that "if you find yourself doing lots of calculations, something is probably wrong". Many math problems can be solved without doing lots of math - sounds weird, but it's true. So, yes, use the scratch paper, but when you're studying, try to find ways that do not require calcs to solve problems. This will serve you well on the test.

Finally, start practicing now: put away the calculator and do all math in your head from now until your test date!

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 55 topics
2 aditya8062 15 topics
3 RiyaR 10 topics
4 Rastis 9 topics
5 datonman 8 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

134 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow