Score error due to power Outage at GMAT test center

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I wrote my GMAT exam today and received a shocking 490 ( Q42 v17 IR 5) . I want to know whether the ~40 mins outage in the test center could have any impact on the test score . This is highly unrealistic score and hard to accept since my previous GMAT attempt score was 580 . I was forced to cancel the second test result as a drastic 90 point decrease seems unbelievable.

The personnel at the test center gave me an option to reschedule the exam after 30 mins ,but also said that I can continue the exam if I would like to . The power went off in between the AWA part . Also, the personnel at the test center did not allow me to to click the "YES" button after the quant section and asked me to take the 8 mins break instead . I suspect there was something wrong with the system ...
My GMATPREP ( exam pack 3/4 )scores were 640 & 650 respectively . I even never received a 490 in any mock CATs.

Also, I had scheduled this exam 3 days before . Does this have any impact ? I am clueless what happened ... I thought I was doing great and then this score .. Please let me know what can I do know . All the effort , money and time are wasted .
Last edited by gmat_winter on Sat May 02, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 am
Hi gmat_winter,

As unfortunate as this may sound, these sorts of 'tech problems' do sometimes happen. You need to file a formal complaint detailing this entire situation. It will likely take a few weeks for everything to be properly investigated, but it's quite likely that you'll be given the opportunity to retake the GMAT for free.

While you wait for that administrative decision to occur, you can continue to study. While all of this is certainly inconvenient, you shouldn't let it distract you from your goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by gmat_winter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am
Thank you Rich . This whole event has completely shattered me . Moreover, the test coordinator pecifically asking me to not click the "YES" button to proceed for the 8 min breaks adds to the suspicion .

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:04 pm
Hi gmat_winter,

The whole situation that you've described is certainly strange and unfortunate. I'd like to know how all of this is handled by the Pearson Staff, so I hope that you keep us all apprised of how your situation ends up.

Rich

by gmat_winter » Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 am
Hi Rich , Thanks for taking time to go through my concern .
I haven't heard from the Pearson Staff .

Could someone tell me ( from experience) how long do I have to wait to get a response from the customer support team ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 am
Hi gmat_winter,

As odd as it may sound, It can sometimes take weeks before these types of issues are resolved.

While staying on top of this might be a bit annoying (since the issue should be dealt with on THEIR end), you should look to stay in touch to make sure that your specific situation didn't get "lost" in the paperwork.

Rich

by gmat_winter » Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm
Thanks Rich , I know its non of your concern , but you have guided me in the right direction from the beginning. I am grateful for that .

I received a response for the 1st concern this morning .They claim that the exam commenced in less that 20 mins .Its a false statement and I provided the evidence how the entire event can be verified.

I have reported the incident to <[email protected]> after speaking to customer support . I have also reported the false claim ( posted the mail communication) in the official GMAC thread . I am starting to loose faith after this false report. Besides, I am sure the official investigating the issue will turn down my second concern as well with out backing up their investigation with proof . Its easy to say in one line - We did not find anything wrong

Spending another 250$ and not knowing what will happen next is frustrating and this is exactly they want from me .

I am not sure whether GMAC representative( replying in official thread) , Jeremy , is going to intervene. Whom shall I ask for help if GMAC-Asia pacific team coordinator is not conducting a fair investigation ?

Regards.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed May 06, 2015 8:48 am
Hi gmat_winter,

Certain situations are categorized as being minimal in impact (or within the realm of reasonable possibility). On the 'lower end', it might be something as simple as a pen running out of ink (THAT happens) and the Test Taker needing to wait 1 minute for a replacement pen. That situation is not 'severe' enough to lead to a free retest. On the 'higher end', it might something similar to what you faced - the computer crashing for a "short" period of time, but then successfully restarting. This also is not severe enough to lead to a free retest.

Unfortunately, I do not know the 'gauge' that Pearson uses to evaluate every situation, so my advice can only be general. It sounds like you've described a situation that is significant enough to warrant a free retest, but THAT judgment is fully in the hands of the Pearson investigators. If they don't agree with you, then there's really nothing that can be done.

My advice is to be respectful, but not to let up with your calls/emails/etc. Continue to voice your concerns, and be adamant about it, but it's possible that you might not get what you want.

Rich

by gmat_winter » Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm
Hi Rich , I called the customer support today , and was told that I am allowed to retake the test for free , but what I do not understand is I never received an Email on the findings .I was told about this only when I called them up after a gap of 4 days . More over , I received an email today with the following message :

Subj:GMAT VERBAL 1 V:17.0 Score from CRSNUM = 2

GMAT VERBAL 1 CRSNUM = 2. Total score obtained is 35

My verbal score showed 17 ( test score was cancelled; I had requested Jeremery (gmac official) to review ,he then engaged his team to check on my score)

When I asked the customer representative whether the 2nd attempt will be invalidated , she stated that it will be showed as cancelled since I took the entire test and choose to cancel it . Is this the rule ?

I do not want the schools to know that I am taking GMAT for the 3rd time , technically it is going to be 2nd attempt. Kindly advise me .
Last edited by gmat_winter on Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu May 14, 2015 7:53 pm
While this sounds like a fairly unconventional case, to the best of my knowledge, it is standard for score reports to include information about canceled tests. The good news is that there's no reason to believe that any school would penalize you for having taken the test three times. Schools only care about your top score.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 pm
Hi gmat_winter,

Business Schools don't care that you're going to take the GMAT again. If you think that it will be an issue (it won't be, but just in case), then you can explain to the Schools directly. You have a legitimate reason for re-testing: the computers CRASHED while you were taking the Test.

Everything about this situation seems strange, but you've gotten a free retest, so the best possible outcome has occurred.

Rich