School selection

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

School selection

by siranak » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Could someone please give me a list of schools which i can target.
I am thinking Columbia, Yale and Carnegie Mellon
Indian Male, 26 years
Undergrad : Engineering (IT) GPA : Highest grade possible (Didnt have the GPA system)
Grad : PGDBM (IIM Indore)(MBA eq.)
Work ex : 10 months pre post grad(Infosys) and 15 months since(Big 4).
Reason for second MBA : Did the first time straight out of college without much of an idea of what i wanted to do. This time plan to properly structure mu course so that i can derive max benefit to learn about my target field.(Mngmt consulting/ strategic mngmt)
GMAT Score : 770 (50,44, 4.5)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 am
Hello siranak, thanks for your question.

I believe some schools will not accept MBA applicants who already possess an MBA. Your first step will be to contact your target programs individually to confirm that you are eligible for admission.

I think it is a steep challenge to convince top MBA programs how your 2nd MBA will help you achieve your career ambitions in a way that your 1st MBA will not. I understand the logic of your argument (i.e., that you completed the first one without a definitive career plan), but that was only 15 months ago, just over a year. Your argument would make more sense if you had completed your first MBA 10 years ago. If you apply now, you will have to make a case that you only determined your career goals within that past 15 months, and that you did not know what they were before that. Typically, I encourage applicants to connect all of their past experiences with their future goals, to show that their goals are a logical culmination of everything they have done. This would be more of a challenge for you because you would have to make the case that your first MBA would not be a part of your logical path (or else why would you need a 2nd one?).

Do you understand my concern?

Have you tried getting jobs in management consulting or strategic management?

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php