School selection dilemma

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

School selection dilemma

by hookemjimbo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:55 am
So here's my background:

760 GMAT (89th percentile Q, 98th percentile verbal)
3.4 undergrad gpa - University of Texas Austin, Economics/Spanish - however, I had about 30 hours of community college
3 years teaching high school Spanish, 1 summer teaching English at Gymnasium in Germany
Highly involved in undergrad w/fraternity and other service organizations, many leadership positions

I was planning to apply to South Carolina, Thunderbird, Georgetown, Tulane and Temple because these schools all have strong international programs (my goal is to work for in marketing overseas); however, I did very well on the GMAT yesterday and am now considering Wharton, UT-Austin and Columbia. Any thoughts as to where I should apply?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm
Your profile looks great, you may want to consider the Lauder programme:

https://lauder.wharton.upenn.edu

Chicago GSB is also another school strong in its international focus, I believe.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Hi hookemjimbo,

Your academic credentials are definitely strong for the top schools. How is your community service after school? And what are your goals?

Can you provide more clarity on your work experience - do you have just three years? And all of it in the classroom teaching Spanish? That shows that you probably have the language skills for Lauder, but I would want to see more about your management/leadership skills.

You'll need to have progression in your career thus far, a clear idea of where you are going, and strong evidence of your leadership and management potential to be competitive for schools like Wharton, Columbia and Chicago.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting