Varsity Tutors

Scared!!

This topic has 2 expert replies and 3 member replies
argoodin12 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages

Scared!!

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 pm
Ok, I'm going to try to keep this brief. I have many friends who have Beat the GMAT and who have completed an MBA program successfully. They are all supportive and tell me I will succeed in the MBA program but, honestly, I'm terrified. I have a BA in English and an MA in Curriculum and Instruction. I've been a teacher and currently run a non-profit. I have zero experience in business classes and zero experience in higher level math classes.

My question: Has anyone else been here before? How did you overcome your own insecurities about your background? Is the GMAT actually a good representative of how I will perform in an MBA program?

P.S. I just enrolled in two undergraduate courses in Accounting and Finance as pre-reqs for my chosen MBA program.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am
argoodin12 wrote:
Ok, I'm going to try to keep this brief. I have many friends who have Beat the GMAT and who have completed an MBA program successfully. They are all supportive and tell me I will succeed in the MBA program but, honestly, I'm terrified. I have a BA in English and an MA in Curriculum and Instruction. I've been a teacher and currently run a non-profit. I have zero experience in business classes and zero experience in higher level math classes.

My question: Has anyone else been here before? How did you overcome your own insecurities about your background? Is the GMAT actually a good representative of how I will perform in an MBA program?

P.S. I just enrolled in two undergraduate courses in Accounting and Finance as pre-reqs for my chosen MBA program.
The good news is that GMAT math tops out at around 9th or 10th grade. No higher level math required. As far as the GMAT's predictive ability, the best I can say is that the research is mixed. I wrote about that research here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/10/does-the-gmat-even-really-measure-anything/

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Thanked by: gmatdestroyer13
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Knitgeek Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
57 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 am
Hey there, I know how you feel. My undergrad is a BEd with a major in Drama and minor in English. I didn't end up going in to teaching but I will say from my schooling and my practicum experience that teaching is actually a big leg up in teaching certain core leadership strategies.

As far as course content goes keep in mind that not everyone going in to an MBA has a finance background. It may mean you need to work a bit harder than others (I know I have had to) but it is completely doable.

You've got two degrees under your belt so you know how to be successful in school and most financial math isn't as scary as it can seem once you start to break it down.

Cartheindfar Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am
I've always been scared of the same but you know... not about the fact that I don't know something but about the fact that I would get scared, anxious, and ultimately I would not be able to answer the questions... this is why i started to use Biotropin... to be more confident.

Last edited by Cartheindfar on Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

JosyGrindell Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
4 messages
Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm
It's all only in your head. You should understand that and focus on what really matters: your desire to get the MBA. Keep in mind why are you the best candidate for this position and repeat it from day to day til you will foget about your insecurities for good.

Editor at Sop Editing

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 am
argoodin12 wrote:

The hard part is convincing admissions departments that you can handle the coursework. A good GMAT score, good GPA, and taking extra pre-req courses are good ways of doing that.

Once you get into a program, it's in the school's best interest to help you succeed there. So most schools provide a wealth of resources - tutors, study sessions, etc - to help students succeed.

For most people, an MBA is a terminal degree, so there is less competition for grades than in undergrad (or in certain masters programs). The general consensus (though there are of course exceptions) is that b-school is generally less academically difficult than many undergrad programs. They know that you're there to learn, but you're also there to network and get to know your classmates, do internships, etc.

In short: if you're keeping up in your pre-req classes, you'll probably be totally fine in business school!

Ceilidh Erickson
Manhattan Prep GMAT & GRE instructor
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

Thanked by: gmatdestroyer13
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.

Best Conversation Starters

1 LUANDATO 138 topics
2 lheiannie07 91 topics
3 Roland2rule 79 topics
4 AAPL 71 topics
5 swerve 66 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

160 posts
2 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

128 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

125 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

118 posts
5 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

114 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts