SC - Identify problem

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Identify problem

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:52 pm
The fish and game commissioner is deciding between eating the trout that he caught with catching a new fish for him to fry

What are the problems with this statement?
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:18 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:The fish and game commissioner is deciding between eating the trout that he caught with catching a new fish for him to fry

At least a couple that I identified.
First, its an idiom error. The correct form is Between X and Y, not Between X with Y.
Second, "for him" is wordy. The way that the sentence is written alludes to the commissioner being the one to fry.
Possible correction:

The fish and game commissioner is deciding between eating the trout that he caught and catching a new fish to fry.

Let me know if I missed anything :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pallav.gmat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:37 pm
I agree with the explanation. One additional query - If we have to use 'him (or its derivative)' , then will 'for himself' be correct ?
eagleeye wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:The fish and game commissioner is deciding between eating the trout that he caught with catching a new fish for him to fry

First, its an idiom error. The correct form is Between X and Y, not Between X with Y.
Second, "for him" is wordy. The way that the sentence is written alludes to the commissioner being the one to fry.
Possible correction:

The fish and game commissioner is deciding between eating the trout that he caught and catching a new fish to fry.

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:46 pm
Eagleeye,

As per the OE its given that the only change is the IDIOM change to "between.....and.."

eagleeye wrote:

Possible correction:

Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---