SC from GMAT software: Selma Lagerlof

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC from GMAT software: Selma Lagerlof

by torofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 am
When it comes to question with wholly underlined, I will get numb. -_-'
Please suggest me some strategy to deal with it. and...please explain this question

Thanks in advnace

OA: D

[/img]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by anabbasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:13 am
I will go with C as the answer.
However i was confused b/w E and C.

What is OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:42 am
torofish wrote:When it comes to question with wholly underlined, I will get numb. -_-'
Please suggest me some strategy to deal with it. and...please explain this question

Thanks in advnace

[/img]
Yep let it be D;

Splits: that won vs to win: that is not appropriate, who should have been used to refer back to author,

So B/E out, out of A/C/D, winning in C as well as use of in addition to is good enough a reason to drop it.

Out of A/D: Turning away from...in A should immediately follow the author and not the year...so A out.

Preety much D here.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by brick2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm
Modifier ERROR...and only D is in the correct format...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 am

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anweshadeb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 am
I will use the elimination process here.

Reasons why A is a wrong answer: 1. Turning away is a present participle modifying Selma L*. Hence Selma Legarof should immediately follow the comma after the first fragment. 2. Paralleslism is the next problem. "Selma L* who ... and was also ... " should be "Selma L* who ... and who was also ... "

Reason why B is a wrong answer: B is an ambiguous construction as it is not clear from the construction what is the antecedent for the first "she".

Reason why C is a wrong answer: Parallelism again. "Selma L* was a novelist who ... and in 1909, she became..." should be "Selma L* was a novelist who ... and who, in 1909 became ..."

Reason why E is a wrong answer: "As a novelist, Selma ..., in 1909 becoming..." is an ambiguous construction. The modifiers of Selma are not parallel.

I think it is D because D though not a free flowing construction, is grammatically correct.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm
In case of questions with wholly underlined, look for some pointers,

1. subject - verb.
2. check for few words such as 'such as vs like', 'if vs whether', 'being', 'having been', 'year and annual'
3. few words are always wrong - 'and also (as per the manhatten)', 'whether or not', 'most of the times being' etc
4. Check for the modifier

If you look for above pointers, most of the time your job will be very easy.

For the current question option A & B has modifier problem, D and E have 'and also', which is redundant. Therefore, wrong.

IMO C

OA please

torofish wrote:When it comes to question with wholly underlined, I will get numb. -_-'

Thanks in advnace

[/img]

Legendary Member

by kstv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm
IMO C
A Passive voice
B She and Selam appear diff persons
C Error in B corrected.
D Selma did not win the Nobel for changing the genre of her novels.
E portion within commas is not dispensible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 am
I will go with D .

C is wrong an not idiomatic with the rest of the sentence .

"She became the first women in addition to the first swedish writer WINNING the noble prize for literature".

Where as D says "became the first women and also the first swedish writer to win the noble prize for literature"

D it is .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 am
reply2spg wrote:In case of questions with wholly underlined, look for some pointers,

1. subject - verb.
2. check for few words such as 'such as vs like', 'if vs whether', 'being', 'having been', 'year and annual'
3. few words are always wrong - 'and also (as per the manhatten)', 'whether or not', 'most of the times being' etc

For the current question option A & B has modifier problem, D and E have 'and also', which is redundant. Therefore, wrong.

IMO C

OA please
how does C seems correct to you? C is filled with errors. I see that you follow Manhattan SC guide. Remember that it says : though last in priority, change of meaning is still tested on GMAT.

, and shows that the last item in a list is going to follow.

If you think that the list contains :

a)novelist
b) became the first woman and Swedish to win a Nobel

then who turned away from literary ... should be a non-essential modifier and should be present within commas.

So, comma should not be there. Further, and she became redundantly uses she. You could very well remove it and convey the same meaning.

Next, look at this : "she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish "

implies there are two people winning the Nobel : Selma and some Swedish.

It is completely changing the author's intended meaning.

then comes incorrect change of tense "winning"

the better among the choices is D. and also is correctly used in this option. This puts a stress that she was the first woman AND first Swedish writer to win Nobel.
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:48 am
You are right. As per the Ron (from manhattan) answer to when to use 'and also' - "X and Y" is normally used to indicate two different things. (if you said "the first woman and the first Swedish writer", without the "also", that would normally imply 2 different people)

"X and also Y" is normally used to bestow two descriptions on the SAME person or thing (notice that both of these descriptions are meant to describe Selma Lagerlof).
harshavardhanc wrote:
reply2spg wrote:In case of questions with wholly underlined, look for some pointers,

1. subject - verb.

IMO C

OA please
how does C seems correct to you? C is filled with errors. I see that you follow Manhattan SC guide. Remember that it says : though last in priority, change of meaning is still tested on GMAT.

, and shows that the last item in a list is going to follow.

If you think that the list contains :

a)novelist
b) became the first woman and Swedish to win a Nobel

then who turned away from literary ... should be a non-essential modifier and should be present within commas.

So, comma should not be there. Further, and she became redundantly uses she. You could very well remove it and convey the same meaning.

Next, look at this : "she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish "

implies there are two people winning the Nobel : Selma and some Swedish.

It is completely changing the author's intended meaning.

then comes incorrect change of tense "winning"

the better among the choices is D. and also is correctly used in this option. This puts a stress that she was the first woman AND first Swedish writer to win Nobel.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Rajat Khandelwal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 pm
option D

Legendary Member

by kstv » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:08 pm
Realize the mistake. Fell for the clear Subject in the first part.