SC -absolute phrase

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

SC -absolute phrase

by zoe » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 am
Hi instructors/experts,

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.
(A) exhibit, which thereby activates
(B) exhibit, in turn an activation of
(C) exhibit, and it will activate
(D) exhibit and thereby activate
(E) exhibit which, as a result, activates

I have no idea about B.
IMO, "an activation of... " works as an apposition noun, describe the proceeding action
"in turn" is a prep, modifier the apposition noun,

my according is absolute phrase mentioned on MANHATTAN 6 th P 169 - 171
please check following :

Absolute Phrases
A few GMAT sentences use a sophisticated modifier called an absolute phrase. Absolute phrases are composed of a noun plus a noun modifier. These phrases do not have to modify what they touch; rather, they modify the main clause in some way. For example:

Right:
His head held high, Owen walked out of the store.

The absolute phrase His head held high is composed of a noun (His head) and a noun modifier (held high) that describes the noun. The phrase His head held high describes how Owen walked out of the store. Thus, this absolute phrase acts as an adverbial modifier.

You might argue that the noun Owen is directly described by His head held high, especially since the pronoun His refers to Owen. Note, though, that you could move the modifier to the end of the sentence; you cannot do so with normal noun modifiers:

Right: Owen walked out of the store, his head held high.
Right: Owen walked out of the store with his head held high.

Consider another example:
Right:
Scientists have found high levels of iridium in certain geological formations around the world, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago.

The absolute phrase in this sentence, results that suggest the cataclysmic impact of a meteor millions of years ago, is composed of the noun results and the noun modifier that suggest ... years ago. Notice that the noun results does not modify world, the closest noun in the main clause. The noun results refers to either high levels of iridium or the act of finding these levels. The absolute phrase construction provides a way to link a second part of the sentence to the first.

it confused me a lot, how B is incorrect

please help to clarify my fault

thanks a lot.
have a nice day
>_~