Room for improvement: 710 (Q49, V35)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Room for improvement: 710 (Q49, V35)

by rkhicha » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:06 am
Hey everyone,

It only seemed fair that i keep the forum that has helped me immensely during my preparation in the past few months posted about how i fared.

710 (Q49, V35)

In my own overly critical opinion, I could have done better.... and i should have done better. Oh well, I live to fight another day, and another day i will. I'm keen on retaking the test sometime in the next few months and touching the 740 target i set myself.

I'm not particularly happy nor am i overly dissapointed with my score. Bit of a limbo (yes... like Inception) i suppose.

Thanks for everything people... and all the very best!

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am
Hi..
Good to know that you crossed 7** figure...
Congrats for that...

I know...its your decision to retake it or not..Retake depends on your mock scores too...

But would like to update you one thing..
WHen adcom sees anyone's application...if they find your score "GOOD ENOUGH", then your profile is evaluated on the basis of rest of your application...So, I do not think adcom will make any distinction between you and a guy with 740-750.. it all comes down to your essays/LOR/Profile/GPA/International exp/social work/leadership qualities in the profile...

Btw... the good enough score is always near the average score of that skool...N i dont think many skools hav avg scores more than 710...not more than 5 i guess..

I hired a essay editor few days back and she was telling me that....we being here in India...we are absolutely not aware of wat adcom looks in your profile... so, I would say...first get your profile evaluated by the committee...n den if they feel that you are not upto the mark in terms of GMAT....then go for a retake...

Two cents from mine..
I hope you are fine with this advice..
:)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by InkyBinky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 am
adi_800 wrote: Btw... the good enough score is always near the average score of that skool...N i dont think many skools hav avg scores more than 710...not more than 5 i guess..
FYI, According to US News and World Reports, 11 schools have average GMAT scores over 710, but just barely. For example, MIT is 711 and Wharton is 718. But I doubt that 710 is below that 40th percentile at any individual school.

I think I would only risk a retake if:
1) I really wanted to go to Harvard or Stanford (Average scores of 719 and 726 respectfully)
2) I was deficient in other aspects of my application.
3) I was pretty sure I could do better.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:31 pm
Wow, that's a very high overall score for 49/35 split. I scored 1 point lower in quant and my overall was 680.
Yep.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by boazkhan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm
Congrats on a great score! this is off topic, but last week I took a GMAT Prep test and scored an even 700 with Q49 V36 split. Is GMAT Prep scaling algorithm slightly harder? Can someone comment?

Thanks,
B