Role of personal life narrative in Essays/SOP

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Happy New year,

Background: 17 years of work experience in technology Consulting, technology and Global expansion of startups and Fortune 500 companies. Have done Masters in IT and completed multiple certifications in Technology I am in process for applying for EMBA to MIT and Berkley. I have a hired a consultant from a well known consulting firm to help me through the process.

While writing the Essays and Statement of purpose, my consultant wants to focus only on the professional aspect of my life and what my future professional plans are. I am arguing the point that my life has seen many personal struggles (things like immigration due to war, family strife, personal struggles) that I successfully overcame and continued my walk towards the top.

Question to community: Does it matter in EMBA to discuss personal struggles and the way I overcame them? Or does it make no difference considering that the people applying for EMBA have already done a lot in their life and AdCom is more interested in professional examples and professional success? Granted that none of the essays have more then 500-700 words and succinct explanation of success is paramount.

I will appreciate input of community to help me decide that how much of personal life should be a part of my essays/statement of purpose or a pure focus on my professional achievements is what AdCom will be more interested in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:14 pm
Happy new year!
I totally agree with you.
Professional examples and success are very very important but working through struggles and overcoming them demonstrate leadership aspects that you are expected to encounter in your day to day work in a stressful work environment and this trait is very attractive to potential employers and thereby most B schools.
If I were you, I would select highlights of my professional career focusing on large projects, clear financial accountability, leading complex and major teams (maybe cross functional), impact on revenue, cost, project management, problem solving and your ability to be hands-on in spite of having significant work experience. The rest should be focused on life battles, your victories (or losses equally), what you have learnt and how you would use this experience during your MBA days and beyond.
Hope this helps.
--
Indradeep Mazumdar
Free Profile/Application Evaluation
MBA Coach and Admissions Expert
Show Me The Mantra
showmethemantra.com
[email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by devilzsoul » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:59 pm
Indradeep wrote:Happy new year!
I totally agree with you.
Professional examples and success are very very important but working through struggles and overcoming them demonstrate leadership aspects that you are expected to encounter in your day to day work in a stressful work environment and this trait is very attractive to potential employers and thereby most B schools.
If I were you, I would select highlights of my professional career focusing on large projects, clear financial accountability, leading complex and major teams (maybe cross functional), impact on revenue, cost, project management, problem solving and your ability to be hands-on in spite of having significant work experience. The rest should be focused on life battles, your victories (or losses equally), what you have learnt and how you would use this experience during your MBA days and beyond.
Hope this helps.
Indradeep, Thank you very much for this.

lets take an example of Statement of Purpose, it is a 500 words essay, by the time, I finish background, Why this B-school, whats the value and what in my professional career make me goood candidate, I dont have any words left for any personal experiences... how should I control that.. Please do private message me if you feel that it is better to discuss this there..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:21 pm
Hi,
Why don't you shoot me the application essay (to my email below) and where you are up to?
I can provide the guidelines as to how to approach the essay - in terms of structure and content?
--
Indradeep Mazumdar
Free Profile/Application Evaluation
MBA Coach and Admissions Expert
Show Me The Mantra
showmethemantra.com
[email protected]