Retake Resources

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Retake Resources

by nandinitaneja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 am
Hello all,

I took the GMAT on 22nd July, ended up with a 690 (AWA 5.5, IR 4, Q 45, V 39). I need a 720+ for the programs I am considering, and have decided to retake the test on August 30th. To provide some context, I was getting between 710-730 on the last 3 GMATPrep CAT's leading up to my test, and I attribute my slightly lower official score to a combination of nerves, silly mistakes and pacing problems during the test.

I used the MGMAT series, OG 12 and 13, as well as all 4 GMATPrep tests (including Exam Pack 1) in my first round of prep, and am looking for some suggestions on the best resources to use in the next month or so, particularly in terms of full length practice CAT's. I had avoided taking the MGMAT tests prior to my first attempt because I received feedback from multiple sources that the quant in these tests is much harder in terms of complex calculations relative to actual GMAT questions, and given that I am generally anxious about my quant progress I didn't want (and need additional practice CAT's) to unnerve myself.

I am planning to practice this time around using the PrepPack 1, Quant Review and redo the OG 13 questions, and use the PowerScore CR Bible, Aristotle SC and Empower ScoreBooster for strategies and tricks. I'd appreciate any inputs on recommended full length tests, or better sources for practice questions.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 am
nandinitaneja wrote:Hello all,

I took the GMAT on 22nd July, ended up with a 690 (AWA 5.5, IR 4, Q 45, V 39). I need a 720+ for the programs I am considering, and have decided to retake the test on August 30th. To provide some context, I was getting between 710-730 on the last 3 GMATPrep CAT's leading up to my test, and I attribute my slightly lower official score to a combination of nerves, silly mistakes and pacing problems during the test.

I used the MGMAT series, OG 12 and 13, as well as all 4 GMATPrep tests (including Exam Pack 1) in my first round of prep, and am looking for some suggestions on the best resources to use in the next month or so, particularly in terms of full length practice CAT's. I had avoided taking the MGMAT tests prior to my first attempt because I received feedback from multiple sources that the quant in these tests is much harder in terms of complex calculations relative to actual GMAT questions, and given that I am generally anxious about my quant progress I didn't want (and need additional practice CAT's) to unnerve myself.

I am planning to practice this time around using the PrepPack 1, Quant Review and redo the OG 13 questions, and use the PowerScore CR Bible, Aristotle SC and Empower ScoreBooster for strategies and tricks. I'd appreciate any inputs on recommended full length tests, or better sources for practice questions.

Thanks!
Hi Nandita,

The only reason for your Undesired score is QUANT as easily visible in your score break-up.

You can comfortably boost your Quant Score to 48 and keep your performance Consistent in Verbal and end up getting a 730.

The material that you have decided to opt is perfect however I will suggest that take GMAT when you find MGMAT Quant questions tough but still within your reach.

Certainly Quant question of MGMAT are tougher than actual GMAT but they are very good practice indeed and offer you the opportunity to deal with all types of difficulties that you may come across while taking actual GMAT.

On one part where we say MGMAT Quant tougher than Actual GMAT, you must also consider the fact that OG and Quant review Questions are easier than some of Question that you get to face in Actual GMAT. Therefore, messing with difficult questions definitely makes sense as it prepares you for the final GMAT battle.

I hope this piece of advise become a bit of help for you to decide your next course of action.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:03 am
Hi nandinitaneja,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]