Retake? 560 > 640 in 8 weeks. Bad Quant. Good Verbal

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi everyone,

So I took my second attempt this past weekend and had some success. I went from a 560 to a 640 in 8 weeks with a 2 week break and 6 weeks of review a few days a week. I actally took a practice exam every Saturday with a start time between 8-10am. I wore suit pants and a button down to be comfortable since its what I wear all week and Sundays.

I feel good about verbal and it was in line with my expectations. To improve my score I reviewed practice problems, read the Economist and Scientific American for the last 2 weeks, and read a nonficition book most nights before bed. I also read worked thought the verbal part of a Kaplan GMAT 800 book.

Focusing on Reading Comprehension and Sentance correction helped and Critical Reasoning fell into place for me. I overthought sentance correction in my early days as I did not go with the flow of the sentance.

What I could use on input on is Quant. I was doing well in my practice exams and got destroyed on the real thing. Timing was not an issue - I had 80 seconds left. I think it was simple mistakes that destroyed me. I do not know why but I can grasp the difficult concepts but on test day I will make careless errors all day.

Any pointers? And Also, should I retake? My target schools are all around 690-710 so I don't stand a chance with these offical scores. I am concerned I look like a fool already with the poor scores. I think an 80 point increase shows drive, but I should have been able to do that in a month, not 2. If I get Quant up I could break 700 but have I wasted too much time and effort in the eyes of the Admissions Committte?

Offical GMAT
7/29/14 560 4IR 38Q 28V

Kaplan

8/16/14 600 3IR 42Q 33V
8/24/14 680 5IR 49Q 35V
9/06/14 690 7IR 50Q 36V
9/13/14 670 6IR 49Q 38V Time Penalty on Quant
9/20/14 670 7IR 49Q 40V Time Penalty on Quant

GMAT 2

9/27/14 640 3IR 41Q 39V

-MG

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:57 am
Hi MG,

A 640 would likely be at the low-end for any of your target schools, which is to say that you would not be rejected at face-value because of your GMAT score. You would likely need some of the other parts of your application (essays, work experience, interview) to be "strong" to convince an admissions committee to accept you. If your overall application is strong, then you might be just fine with this score.

All that having been said, it's understandable that you might want to retest. If you're planning to apply to any Top10 schools, the Q41 might be a problem.

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and your plans:
1) When you took your practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay)?
2) Did you take any of those CATs more than once?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

If you do plan to retest, you should do so sooner (while all of your GMAT knowledge is still fresh) rather than later.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mrgillette89 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 am
Hello Rich,

Thank you for the quick response!

I did do the entire CAT including the essay during these 6 weeks. I had not previously done the essays on my Kaplan practice exams as I prepared for my 7/29/2014 attempt.

I had Kaplan reset old practice exams that I had taken earlier in the year. I did recognize a couple of questions from previous CATs so there was likely point inflation on the Quant side.

I do not plan on applying until Fall 2015 for a start date in Fall 2016. I plan on applying in Round 1 so I feel I have some time.

- MG

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:31 pm
Hi MG,

By retaking CATs that you had already taken, the repeat questions (even if it was just a few questions) would have led to an artificial, "inflated" series of scores. So, if you do plan to retest, then you're going to need to practice with a new set of CATs (thankfully, there are a couple of sets to choose from).

From your last Official GMAT score, it appears that your Verbal ability is quite strong, but your Quant ability is a bit inconsistent. You could very easily retest in a month of so and score at a higher level, but you're going to have to make some adjustments to how you deal with the GMAT (no more careless errors) and you're probably going to need to invest in some new resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]