00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

im confused. i eliminated A and chose C because it seemed as if 'they' in the last part of A pointed to 'the sighted people'.

where did i go wrong? i understand that A makes more sense in terms of tense.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

bump

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The "they" in A is okay.

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth <blah blah blah>, and that they <blah blah blah>.

The "comma and" indicates parallelism, and the two "that's" indicate what should be parallel: "individuals who have been blind from birth" and "they." So the "they" unambiguously refers to "individuals blind from birth," both logically and structurally.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:06 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Quote:
Can you please look into the related issue at the below thread....here for kicking out D....OG says we need to have "that" after "and"....is it because the first part there is

that <verb>

second part does not start with <verb> after "and"

https://www.beatthegmat.com/uncontrolled ... tml#169856

Confused. Followed the link. The sentence does not contain the word "and" anywhere. Can you clarify / double-check the link?

Hi Stacey,

Can you please see the option D of the above link....there the word and is there....
Ah - answer D inserts an "and"! Okay. I was just looking in the original sentence. I'll answer in that other thread. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Stacey Koprince wrote:The "they" in A is okay.

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth <blah blah blah>, and that they <blah blah blah>.

The "comma and" indicates parallelism, and the two "that's" indicate what should be parallel: "individuals who have been blind from birth" and "they." So the "they" unambiguously refers to "individuals blind from birth," both logically and structurally.
Yes...just to add what stacey said, as the Manhattan SC guide says....the pronoun in the second parallel clause refers to noun that is there in the first clause :-)

here first that clause subject = Individuals ....

so second clause they(which act as subject) will refer to Individuals....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by panacea6565 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:44 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

hey Stacey
after "comma splice and" (, and)..we should have a new independent clause!!! which is not the case here..
please clarify, if you can get time out of your busy schedule

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

a. who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture
b. who thus never saw anyone gesturing, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, and that they will gesture
c. who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, as well as gesturing
d. thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, as well as gesturing
e. thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless to make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and to gesture

OA: A

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

panacea6565 wrote:hey Stacey
after "comma splice and" (, and)..we should have a new independent clause!!! which is not the case here..
please clarify, if you can get time out of your busy schedule

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

a. who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture
b. who thus never saw anyone gesturing, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, and that they will gesture
c. who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, as well as gesturing
d. thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, as well as gesturing
e. thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless to make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and to gesture

OA: A
IMO it is not that "comma + and" has to follow independent clause....

The rule is that independent clause should follow "comma + and"....and not the vice versa....

in fact in many parallelism questions comma + and does not follow independent clause.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

goel's got it.

If you are trying to connect two independent clauses with "and," then you need to use that comma.

But that's not the ONLY circumstance in which you could see ", and" in a sentence. :)

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by panacea6565 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hey Stacey, Goel
IMO it is not that "comma + and" has to follow independent clause....

The rule is that independent clause should follow "comma + and"....and not the vice versa....

in fact in many parallelism questions comma + and does not follow independent clause.
so this means, for "comma(,) and" there is no rule as such in gmat
it can be used anywhere

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO There are some rules for comma + and...that are followed in GMAT...

IMO the best way to learn is Manhattan SC guide. :-)

by panacea6565 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:33 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

goelmohit2002 wrote:IMO There are some rules for comma + and...that are followed in GMAT...

can you please help. in finding those, i have soft copy - old and new , both...plz give me the page numbers

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:27 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

panacea6565 wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:IMO There are some rules for comma + and...that are followed in GMAT...

can you please help. in finding those, i have soft copy - old and new , both...plz give me the page numbers
In the 4th edition SC guide....

Please read the parallelism and odds and evens chapter...

There these rules are there...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:48 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

i have soft copy - old and new , both...plz give me the page numbers
If you have a soft copy, then either you have an illegal copy of our books or you have a copy of the Manhattan Review book. Manhattan Review is a different company. We do not release ManhattanGMAT books in soft copy.

If you have a soft copy of ManhattanGMAT books, I can't make you delete them, but I ask that you not use illegal copies of our books. If people use our material without paying for it, then we won't be in business for very long - and that means no new and improved materials from which to study.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

so this means, for "comma(,) and" there is no rule as such in gmat
it can be used anywhere

It's basically a one-way rule. If you are going to connect two independent clauses using "and" then you actually need "comma and."

But there are other circumstances in which you could have "comma and." For example:

She bought milk, bread, and cheese at the store. (list of three things)

She bought milk at the store, which just re-opened yesterday after a fire, and played tennis at the club. (the stuff after the "and" is not an independent clause, but the comma is necessary because it is enclosing the "which" modifying clause)

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

hey stacey

by panacea6565 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

i dont think, i have anything as such, which can be called illegal.. the soft copy called Manhattan Review - sentence correction guide..is what i have downloaded from Manhattan website only.