Request profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Request profile evaluation

by amitraghav » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:16 pm
Hi,

Thanks for providing this opportunity to interact with you.Request if you can advice me on possible Bschool options.

Male,31,Indian,Non-IT,Commerce grduate,Post graduate diploma in management,

Work Exp.

Total expreience of 7 years with 3 years in Citibank and 4 years with Deutsche Bank.Have been outstanding performer with top ratings all the years and also amongst top 3 employees year on year.I am into sales and have got 5 promotions in 7 years.Currently leading a team of 12 members.Have won several awards including best employee of the years in both the companies.

Undergrad

Commerce graduate with low GPA and post graduate diploma in management with good GPA.

Extra curricular

Have been part of animal welfare NGO for last 3 years.Have been closely associated and have been actively participating in various work for animals.

Gmat Score

Gmat Score of 650

Bschool options

Looking at top 50 global schools or top 30 USA schools.

Request advice on possible options.

Thanks
Amit

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 am
Hello Amit, thanks for your question.

Let's start with academics. You come from an overrepresented demographic that typically has both high GMAT scores and GPAs. Given that yardstick, you will need to overcome this comparison with your application.

That said, you do not work in IT - unlike many applicants from India - and it seems like you've really distinguished yourself with your work performance. Moreover, it appears that you have some interesting and compelling service experience (although it is unclear to me whether you played a leadership role or more of a regular volunteer role). You can differentiate yourself from the pack by drawing upon this background to demonstrate your leadership, ability to drive results, and initiative. This area of your application can help mitigate your academic performance.

You do not mention your post-MBA goals. The more you can clearly show that your desired career path requires an MBA - and, specifically, forge connections with specific programs - the more compelling your story will be. Moreover, you should try to connect your future goals with your past and present - the arc should make logical sense.

I hesitate to make too specific a set of recommendations without knowing the details of your work and NGO experience, but I think you could reach for some schools such as Darden, Fuqua, and others in that range, with schools like Emory, UNC, and Boston University as places where you will be competitive. Your goal with your application is to use your work and NGO experiences to trump your GPA and GMAT.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php