Relaxing Strategy

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Relaxing Strategy

by uwhusky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:13 am
I had nightmares about DS questions last night, and I think it will only get worse.

Does anyone have any suggestion about how to relax the day before the test?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by InkyBinky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 am
Liquor?

My test isn't until September 11th, but I had a mini panic attack yesterday anyway. So I went to the gym and exercised until I was no longer stressed. I will probably do this the day before the test so that I am tired enough to sleep well.

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:770

by OliverTPR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am
Uwhusky,

I am sorry to hear that you are having nightmares! Unfortunately, I still have nightmares about the GMAT, and I teach the dang thing.

Anyways, exercise is definitely one of the better ways to relax before the exam. Really, anything that takes a lot of energy is good. The basic idea is that you want to be so tired that you fall asleep naturally without "the fear" setting in before nodding off.

Go for a long walk at the local park/botanical gardens. Go bowling with some friends. Go out to eat, or go see a movie. The main thing is to NOT just stay home and sulk. (Also, do not get drunk. One drink to calm nerves is fine, but keep it to one drink!)

Also, this may seem silly, but I also have a "happy place" to go to when I get nervous just before or during the test. My personal happy place is an image of carebears running around in a rainbow forest. It is incredibly stupid (and embarrassing) but it makes me laugh every time, and therefore calms me down.

It doesn't hurt to give yourself a pep talk. I had a student who created a "test-day" mix-tape. It had songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and so forth. This all sounds dumb, but the problem is a psychological one, so there really isn't a specific solution akin to solving a wicked DS problem.

Let me know afterwards if any of this works for you, or if you find something else to calm your nerves. As an instructor for The Princeton Review, I am always trying to give good advice of this nature to my students, so anything helps!
Oliver Pope
GMAT Trainer
The Princeton Review

Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:40 am
I know one way drink heavily
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by cs97mmr2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 am
Definitely exercise! I exercised on both days preceeding my test and it worked a treat. Don't overdo it, but do just enough to get rid of the nervous energy and to make you slightly tired. With all the endorphins that get released, you'll be calm on the big day.

Followed by:3 members

by crackverbal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am
It is important that you put yourself in a positive frame of mind. Some ways do so:

1. Read GMAT success stories. I have an old file that might help you. Attaching it here.

2. Talk to people who have taken it recently and done well. Either through PMs, over the forums or if you know someone personally then over the phone. Always helps soothe your nerves.

3. Close your eyes and visualize that you are taking the actual test. And think as you are clicking through the questions you are able to solve them correctly, your confidence is going up and you are feeling energized. Finally after hitting the submit button on the last question and you see your dream score. Q- 50, V-44 Total 760!

4. On the test, tell yourself that there are about 11 experimental questions in verbal and about 9 in quant. So the probability that the particular question you are trying to solve is very, very high - so guess and move on. Don't dwell on it too much!

All the best and let us know how you did.

Arun
Attachments
GMAT700stories.doc
(271 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-throug ... video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
https://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 pm
On weekends when I study over 6 hrs/day, I dream about solving questions related to the topic I had studied during the day.. the entire freaking night!! Even when I take a power nap during the day on a weekend, Im solving problems in my dreams.. Power nap isnt so much a power nap when you are exercising your brain the entire time!!
AND my GMAT is more than a mth away!

@uwhusky - when do you take yours?
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 pm
A week from today. I have not been sleeping very well due to the heat wave...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:08 pm
Dream of a 760 :)
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 pm
uwhusky wrote:I had nightmares about DS questions last night, and I think it will only get worse.

Does anyone have any suggestion about how to relax the day before the test?
Stretching is a good way for me to relax. It also helps stimulate blood flow so stretching during the day of the test during your breaks could be helpful as well.

Just remember- the point of the GMAT is to help you get into an MBA program and MBA programs admit people not numbers. A good GMAT score helps but it's not everything.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT