Redundancy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Redundancy

by NaimaB » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 am
Is the use of 'and also' redundant always?

OG uses this two word together in explanation of answers. However, in some questions, wrong answers have been cancelled out based on this redundant use.

Getting confused!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 am
NaimaB wrote:Is the use of 'and also' redundant always?
An excerpt from an OA in GMATPrep:
Selma became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize.
Given this OA, I would not cite the presence of and also as a reason to eliminate an answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm
Indeed, as Mitch rightly pointed out, and also cannot be considered redundant. Another officially correct sentence:

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign - using websites, public meetings , and also mass mailings - that has convinced the Department of agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vivekvijayan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:39 am
EducationAisle wrote:Indeed, as Mitch rightly pointed out, and also cannot be considered redundant. Another officially correct sentence:

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign - using websites, public meetings , and also mass mailings - that has convinced the Department of agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food
Hi Ashish,

In the example you mentioned, why can't and also be considered redundant. Isn't "also" unnecessary. Can't the meaning be conveyed with just an "and"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:33 am
vivekvijayan wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:Indeed, as Mitch rightly pointed out, and also cannot be considered redundant. Another officially correct sentence:

Hi Ashish,

In the example you mentioned, why can't and also be considered redundant. Isn't "also" unnecessary. Can't the meaning be conveyed with just an "and"?
X and also Y.
In this construction, also is used for emphasis: it serves to indicate that Y is somehow notable.
OA: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign -- using websites, public meetings, and also mass mailings.
Here, also serves to indicate that the use of mass mailings is somehow notable.
In short:
and also is NOT considered redundant.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 am
An excerpt from an OA in GMATPrep:
Selma became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize.
Given this OA, I would not cite the presence of and also as a reason to eliminate an answer choice.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can you please explain more that both and also are acceptable in single sentence? Is there any particular rule?

Please explain sir.

Thanks