rectangle R greater

This topic has expert replies
Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:19 am
In the original condition, there is a rectangle whose length and width we need to know, so there are two variables.
We need the number of equations to match the number of variables to solve for the variables, so we need 2 equations.
Conditions 1 and 2 each provide an equation each, so the answer is C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:59 am
Max@Math Revolution wrote:In the original condition, there is a rectangle whose length and width we need to know, so there are two variables.
We need the number of equations to match the number of variables to solve for the variables, so we need 2 equations.
Conditions 1 and 2 each provide an equation each, so the answer is C.
This line of reasoning does not apply to the posted problem.
The question stem does not ask us to solve for the length and width.
It asks only whether we have sufficient information to determine that the perimeter of the rectangle -- the value of 2(L+W) -- must be greater than 28.

From my post above:
Statement 1:
LW = 50.
Let's assume that the perimeter = 28.
Then 2(L+W) = 28, L+W=14, and W=14-L.
Substituting into LW=50, we get:
L(14-L) = 50.
14L - L^2 -50 = 0.
L^2 - 14L + 50 = 0.
For any quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, the determinant is b^2 - 4ac. If the determinant is negative, the equation has no real solutions. In the equation above, a=1, b= -14 and c=50. Since the determinant of the equation is b^2-4ac = (-14)^2 - 4*1*50 = 196-200 = -4, the equation does not have a real solution.
This shows us that in order for the equation above to have a real solution, the perimeter has to be greater than 28.
SUFFICIENT.
As you can see, Statement 1 provides sufficient information to determine that 2(L+W) > 28.
The correct answer is not C but A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 am
An alternate -- and perhaps easier -- way to prove that Statement 1 is SUFFICIENT.

RULE:
If Rectangle R has a perimeter of x units, then the greatest possible area will be yielded if R is a SQUARE with a side of length x/4.

Example: Let p = 40
If L=10 and W=10, then A = 10*10 = 100.
If L=11 and W=9, then A = 11*9 = 99.
If L=12 and W=8, then A = 12*8 = 96.
As the example above illustrates, the greatest possible area is yielded when L=W=10 and R is a SQUARE.

Question stem: Is the perimeter of Rectangle R greater than 28?
If p=28, then the greatest possible area will be yielded if R is a square with a side of 7:
7*7 = 49.
Implication.
To have an area greater than 49, R must have a perimeter GREATER THAN 28.

Statement 1: The area of rectangle R is 50.
Since the area is greater than 49, R must have a perimeter greater than 28.
SUFFICIENT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:32 pm
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and equations ensures a solution.

Is the perimeter of rectangle R greater than 28?

(1) Area of rectangle R is 50.

(2) Diagonal of rectangle R is 10.

In this problem, (1)=(2), and when the area of the rectangle is fixed, the perimeter of the square is minimum. In other words, the length and the width are identical, meaning a^2=50, a=5sqrt 2. The perimeter is 4a=20sqrt2=20*1.41>28, thus the conditions are sufficient.
Therefore the answer is D.

But since the original condition has 2 variables (width, length) we need 2 equations to match the number of variables, and since we have 1 for each conditions 1), 2), C is likely the answer and it often is the answer to such problems.

If you know our own innovative logics to find the answer, you don't need to actually solve the problem.
www.mathrevolution.com
l The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS that allow anyone to easily solve GMAT math questions.

l The easy-to-use solutions. Math skills are totally irrelevant. Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

l The most effective time management for GMAT math to date allowing you to solve 37 questions with 10 minutes to spare

l Hitting a score of 45 is very easy and points and 49-51 is also doable.

l Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons at https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson

l Our advertising video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jiana90 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 am
Hello everyone, I opened an old thread.
but if anyone can help, I have a different approach.
we know that if you are given an Area , the square has the least perimeter.
so what I did I transferred it into square , if I got more than 28 then the rectangular will diff be greater than 28,
St.A:
Area=50 , lets make it a square then sides will equal 5*2^1/2 , then multiply by 4 we get 28.sth then rec is diff greater than 28, hence St A sufficient.

St.B:
the same, dia=10 , make it a square we have sides 5*2^1/2 , multiply by 4 then we will get 28.sth then rec is greater than 28.hence B suff

therefore answer is D

please help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Hi jiana90,

The logic that you used to prove that Fact 1 was sufficient was correct. Since you know the AREA, then you know that the smallest perimeter will occur when the shape is a square. However, in Fact 2, you DO NOT know the area, so you have to consider how the area might change when all you have is a diagonal of 10.

IF... we're dealing with a square with a diagonal of 10, then the perimeter will be a little over 28 and the answer to the question would be YES. IF... the rectangle is 6 by 8 though, then you'll have a diagonal of 10 and a perimeter of 6+6+8+8 = 28. Thus, the answer to the question would be NO. Thus, Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]