Real GMAT 470! practice 670!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:470

Real GMAT 470! practice 670!!

by gmatplayer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:27 am
It was most humiliating and demoralizing day for me yesterday. I got 470 in real Gmat. Q36 & V19

I have started my prep with 530 Q48 V16
Then gradually improved in following manner

530 GPREP-1
540 MGMAT
570 MGMAT
580 MGMAT
590 MGMAT
640 GPREP-2
670 MGMAT
670 MGMAT

I never got less than 48 in Q in any of GPREP and always got 45 to 48 in MGMAT Q.
Verbal I started with 16 then 26, 26, 28, 36, 33

I am humiliated by the fact that I couldn't even match with my lowest score without prep. During the test though I did have some tough questions in both sections, I did not think I am doing that bad.
I started with real nice in AWA and used all necessary strategies to use important words and blah blah... finished them in time with 5 min to check for each.

However I do remember in Q that I am getting some cumbersome calculations type tricky questions. Although I was about 3-4 min lagging in mid of that section, I increased my speed & then solved all with just one guess in between. In V as usual, I could not figure out whether or not I am doing good or "that bad". Still one thing from practice experience I learned that I can come back anytime in V to have decent score.

One thing I would like to mention is that before the test, when I called test center & asked for documents they need. They said driving license & a credit card. But when I arrived there they said they need passport only. So I had to drive back to my hotel, which was a mile from center & took passport to center. I am not saying that all this affected me in bad way because I still had 15 left after brining passport till deadline 4.28pm. But it could have affected in subconscious way...well, I don' know.

Now, I am going to try again. This time I going to emphasize on one thing only - timing strategy. But I do need help from moderators, and test repeaters...what kind of change in strategy you recommend? If any.
And how do you keep yourself motivated after getting a shocking score in first attempt.

Now it has become very personal for me, I need to prove myself that I can get nice score, which is close to 700.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

You can do it!!!!!!!

by ashishnGMAT » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 am
If you never failed..you never tried!!!!!!!!

So try again and give ur best!!!

All the best!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by LifetimesofSC » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 pm
moderators are not going to get you out of this one.

The GMAT community lost many great leaders during the fall of S#$%***p. I am ready for the re-birth.

In 2006, test centers started implementing Palm reads and fingerprint technology...and in 2009, test centers are using my test money to increase the A/C in the room to assist in my downfall as I shiver, sneeze and fall on my blue balls.

My story was going similar but i never passed the 630 mark on my practice exams. Your story deserves attention from the ETS and GMAC. Unfortunately, it will only capture the attention of moderators and good test takers who won't be able to explain our results.

If I f-up on Monday, I'm starting a group and I will have my share of juice placed on the table. Let's take advantage of time zones and the internet.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ownedbytheGMAT » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:03 pm
Dude,

Guess what? As long as there's life there's hope. I got seriously pummeled and humbled by the GMAT this past Saturday.

I've decided to give it a 4th try. I figured my nerves did me in so I'm gonna work on relaxing, staying focused and not making silly mistakes.

You can do it dude. Just don't take the score so badly. I'm already doing a lot better. I'm gonna Mike Jordan the GMAT in the 4th quarter and on my 4th try and I'll be back to give a war report to the BTG Community.

Chin up and chest out gmatplayer. You can do it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
My goal was to get upper 500s or cross 600.
On my MGMAT practice tests I was scoring upper 500s (570, 590, 600) and even got a highest score of 610. I took Kaplan test and got 540.

With that I felt confident that I could do well on a real thing and got the exam scheduled. In the worst case scenario, I thought, I would get lower 500s.

I was wrong. Yesterday I got a shameful score of 460 that made feel like the only thing left for me is just go and jump off the roof. The prep tests I took made my verbal look awesome (sometimes reaching 72%), but on a real thing for my verbal score I got 22 points. My math score surpassed my verbal score.

On my prep tests I tested like I was taking a real test every time.
What did go wrong???

Feel very mad and cannot find an explanation.

One thing to mention that Pearson VUE personnel screwed me on the break time with palm vein screening. It took me 2 min to sing in back before my math section as apparently the palm vein machine didn't read my palm properly. Then the lady at Pearson whispered to me "There will be 2,5 min taken off your test". What?! My heart was beating hard and the whole thing made mad and frustrated and I think I carried the frustration throughout the whole test.

At the break before the verbal section I decided to pretty much run to the restroom after my horrible experience at the previous break. To get to the restroom at the center one needs to get a key first, then walk outside the testing suite, walk 80 feet in the corridor to get to restroom, unlock the restroom. It could sound funny but when you have 8 min available to you and the break time starts ticking right after you're done with the section, it is not fun. One cannot leave the testing room once the section is complete, one should raise a hand first, wait for the test center personnel who could be signing in or out other people at the moment. Then it comes your turn and they finally come and grab you, sign you out with the machine again not reading the palm pattern and only after all that here is your time to rest. Guess what I got back from the break and the palm vein reader didn't do well this time again! Gosh, I wanted to write a complaint or something. But to who? I even don't know if anyone had a similar experience.

I try to persuade myself that I just was unlucky, taking into account my prep test results and my exam experience, but still thoughts that may be I am just not that smart don't leave me.

Please help with your advice, if any. Appreciate it in advance.