Read the scholarship essay from: tkovalsky

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Here is tkovalsky's essay submission. If you wish to vote for tkovalsky, please refer to the online poll by clicking here. Be sure to read all the applicant essays carefully prior to voting because you only get one vote.

Two scholarship winners will be decided via online poll by May 20, 2006! Only registered users can vote, so register today--it's free.

---

Why do you deserve the Beat The GMAT! Scholarship?

Orphaned at 17, I created my own path and my own direction. Without parental intervention, I was left to make my own decisions in life. I was left with some money, but that would not get me too far. I could have gambled it in the stock market when at the time many companies who had no income were trading at 50 times their earnings. This could have been a good choice, but I thought that I would fare better with a degree. Although this money helped pay for college, it certainly did not cover my full tuition bill.

After landing my first job and being paid a salary that was way less than I expected or hoped for, my fiancé and I were able to scrap together whatever money we had to buy our first house. Now that I have been out of school for a few years, I am finding that I am not following the path that I want to be on. I want to make things happen in a company, I want to play an important role. This is why I have decided to try to get into a top tiered business school.

Unfortunately, salaries do not seem to rise as quickly as the costs of living, especially with soaring gas prices. After being laid off from the hedge fund I was with, I needed to take a job since we cannot afford for either of us to work. Additionally, my tuition will be paid out of pocket and I need any help I can get. The contest that you are holding will be most beneficial for me because I have the hunger needed to use the materials to get what I want - an MBA.