RC - Two hypothesis - Weaken Question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by anubhav1984 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm
Can someone please give out the OA on this one? I think it should be D.

by asax » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 am
imo D

some really good explanations!

well done guys'1
Looking forward to 2013 MBA admissions!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by exploringmat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am
D for me.
Would like to highlight something else too.
arboreal-Many small animals, and even
some goats and kangaroos,
are capable of climbing trees
but are not gliders.

cursorial-
an animal
would have to run quite fast
to take off. Still, some small
terrestrial animals can achieve
high speeds.

So, the passage itself tells us that comparision with other animals for flying, according to BOTH hypothesis, is not strongly supported. This helped me to eliminate C. Not sure whether this approach is correct. Comments are welcome. :)

by scarpa220 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 am
OA: D

by scarpa220 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 am
OA: D

by namans » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 am
also, D is clearly a piece of evidence used to undermine the hypothesis - the earliest known bird did not have trees high enough to glide from, so it probably developed flight in a different way. Once you have D, there really is no reason to go and talk yourself into choosing a trap answer choice such as C.[/quote]

@ Geva

can we really say that 'relatively small' is the same as 'not tall enough'?
The passage says 'plants were no taller than a few meters... no where does 'tall figurre in.. The trees could be relatively small, yet be tall enough (or not - we do not know). Are we not making an assumption here?

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 am
straight forward D.

if plants are so small then jumping from plants or trees will not help in flying.

by sinhap07 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am
tgou008 wrote:Wow this is a really tough choice between C and D, and I really don't think I can call it either way.
What is the source for this question and what is the OA?

Thanks
It's not a tough choice, unless you make it one by second guessing yourself instead of aggressively eliminating. ldoolitt got it right: the fact that small animals can climb does not in and of itself undermine the arboreal hypothesis. For C to be correct, it needs to present the entire undermining fact: that many small animals can climb but cannot fly.

also, D is clearly a piece of evidence used to undermine the hypothesis - the earliest known bird did not have trees high enough to glide from, so it probably developed flight in a different way. Once you have D, there really is no reason to go and talk yourself into choosing a trap answer choice such as C.[/quote]
Hi

For the same passage, I am not clear why the OA for this question is E. The author states that the studies till now have been unconvincing. Pls refer to para 1. However, how can we infer that scientists themselves were uncertain?

The passage suggests which of the following regarding the climbing ability of Archaeopteryx?
A. Its ability to climb trees was likely hindered by the presence of incipient feathers on its forelimbs.
B. It was probably better at climbing trees than were its maniraptoran dinosaur cousins.
C. It had certain physical adaptations that suggest it was skilled at climbing trees.
D. Scientists have recently discovered fossil evidence suggesting it could not climb trees.
E. Scientists are uncertain whether it was capable of climbing trees