RC - Feeling of author

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

RC - Feeling of author

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:28 pm
The deciphering of the sequence of the human genome and other advances in genetics have opened major new opportunities for medical progress. New knowledge about the genetic basis of disease will allow for earlier detection of illnesses, often before symptoms have begun. Genetic testing can allow individuals to take steps to reduce the likelihood that they will contract a particular disorder. New knowledge about genetics may allow for the development of better therapies that are more effective against disease or have fewer side effects than current treatments do. These advances also allow for the potential misuse of genetic information to discriminate in health insurance and employment. The current explosion in the science of genetics compels Congressional action in this area.

Although genes are facially neutral markers, many genetic conditions and disorders are associated with particular racial and ethnic groups and gender. Because some genetic traits are more prevalent among particular groups, members of a particular group may be stigmatized or discriminated against as a result of that genetic information. This form of discrimination was evident in the 1970s, which saw the advent of programs to screen and identify carriers of sickle cell anemia, a disease which disproportionately afflicts African-Americans. State legislatures began to enact discriminatory laws in the area, and in the early 1970s they began mandating genetic screening of all African Americans for sickle cell anemia, leading to discrimination and unnecessary fear. To alleviate some of this stigma, Congress in 1972 passed the National Sickle Cell Anemia Control Act, which withholds Federal funding from States unless sickle cell testing is voluntary.

What attitude is expressed by the author of this passage?

(A) Forceful but misinformed

(B) Disgusted but intrigued

(C) Incensed and impolite

(D) Thoughtful and bemused

(E) Supportive but wary
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 am
Would you eliminate any answers because of their wording?

Are there any words in the text that show how the author is feeling?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 am
Kasia,

(A) Forceful but misinformed ......Not forceful

(B) Disgusted but intrigued ..... Not disgusted

(C) Incensed and impolite ....Not incensed (anger)

(D) Thoughtful and bemused ..... author is thoughtful, but not sure / confused with "bemused" synonym

(E) Supportive but wary ...... author is supportive but not sure of "wary"

This is the tight corner that i faced when i try to attend for the first time. How to handle this ?
Kasia@MasterGMAT wrote:Would you eliminate any answers because of their wording?

Are there any words in the text that show how the author is feeling?
Regards,
Karthik

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 am
The synonyms of "bemused" - bewildered, confounded, confused, at sea, baffled, mazed, mixed-up, befuddled, lost

The synonyms of "wary" - watchful, careful, alert, cautious, prudent, attentive, vigilant, circumspect, heedful

Any conclusion? Try to find words in the passage that point to the author's attitude.
Kasia
Senior Instructor

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 am
So it should be "Supportive but wary"

Kasia@MasterGMAT wrote:The synonyms of "bemused" - bewildered, confounded, confused, at sea, baffled, mazed, mixed-up, befuddled, lost

The synonyms of "wary" - watchful, careful, alert, cautious, prudent, attentive, vigilant, circumspect, heedful

Any conclusion? Try to find words in the passage that point to the author's attitude.
Regards,
Karthik

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by asax » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 am
yup looks like e(best of all).
I didnt know wary meant all of that. If i had known ;) answering would've been an easy breeze ;)
Looking forward to 2013 MBA admissions!

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:12 pm
OA is E
Regards,
Karthik

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:30 am
In other sections of the GMAT it is often possible to understand the idea from the context or even ignore some unknown words and just focus on the structure. With RC "tone" questions it is necessary to learn new vocabulary and also it is a good idea to update your list every time you read a question of this kind. That way having read a number of passages you will understand the majority of phrases used to describe the author's attitude.
Kasia
Senior Instructor

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ihatemaths » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 am
so the author ADVOCATES(1st para) the advances in the field genetics but WARY(2nd para) of what happened in the 1970's ? is this how the passage is split ?

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:38 am
You are right, but also we need to look out for words in the argument/passage about the author's support and wariness
ihatemaths wrote:so the author ADVOCATES(1st para) the advances in the field genetics but WARY(2nd para) of what happened in the 1970's ? is this how the passage is split ?
Regards,
Karthik