Rates for/rates of

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Rates for/rates of

by bobs21 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:00 am
Hi:

Is the usage of 'rates of' correct? And if so, can anyone please provide examples?

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 am
Can you provide a sentence that you specifically had in mind?

Here are three examples of sentences using the idea of rate:

(1) The rate of change in the organization has been very slow.
(2) The rate at which an organization changes varies depending on the size of the organization.
(3) The going rates for the rental cars change depending on availability.

I believe each of the above is correct.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Leonard C » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 pm
I agree with Mayonnaise ... if it is "rates" with an "s" then it is "rates for", but if it is "rate" with no "s", then it is "rate of".

Is anyone else finding idoms extremely frustrating? I guess what makes it worse for me is listening to too much rap and hip hop music. I knew my mum was right when she said it would do me no good, booyah.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:51 pm
Leonard C wrote:I agree with Mayonnaise ... if it is "rates" with an "s" then it is "rates for", but if it is "rate" with no "s", then it is "rate of".

Is anyone else finding idoms extremely frustrating? I guess what makes it worse for me is listening to too much rap and hip hop music. I knew my mum was right when she said it would do me no good, booyah.
Try reading newspaper articles everyday, but only reputable ones. You'll see a lot of idioms. In addition, newpaper articles by their nature must be short and concise, which helps in SC since conciseness and clarity are two major points of GMAT SC.