Quittin job..A wise decision??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quittin job..A wise decision??

by srik » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm
Hi guys am new to this forum n this my first post..i'm currently with an Indian MNC and will have 2 yrs of experienece by this june. Am planning to take the GMAT in August so would it be a wise decision for me to give up my job and prepare in full length seriously for the test. Your advice will be highly helpful

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 pm
Welcome to the community, srik!

With regard to your question--I don't think it is necessary to quit your job just to prepare for this test. It's definitely possible to prepare well while staying employed. More importantly, business schools would probably appreciate progress in your full-time work over incremental improvement in the GMAT.

Please take a look at the GMAT Resource Directory as well as the 'I just Beat The GMAT' forum to get advice/examples of how to structure your prep while you work.

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by srik » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm
Thanks a ton for the quick response. My work demands working till the late nights leaving me with very little time to prepare. So guys your take on this!!

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 pm
Still not a reason for you to quit your job. Think of it this way-- you are competing with thousands of other people who are probably in far more stressful jobs than you yet who still manage to get a good score. What does it say of your management skills if you cannot manage your work and study? You could stretch out your prep period and still get some solid amount of work done. What does it say of your personal introspection if you cannot identify your own strengths and weaknesses??

If you are in India, and i suspect you are, what of the thousands of students who are working and still manage to prep for the CAT which is a whole different stress level as compared to the GMAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm sorry to hear that your work schedule doesn't lend itself well to prep. But just to reiterate my earlier point, work experience/advancement is more important than GMAT score. Definitely consider that factor as well with your decision.

On another note, if you were to quit, would it be relatively easy for you to get another job quickly?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:55 pm
srik, though you've not mentioned, on the side note I want to inform (?) you (& others who're reading this) that the you'll be enrolled to MBA class of 2012 (which would start in ~Sept 2010) IF you take GMAT in August 2009 & apply earliest.

...I hope you know about it but many of my Indian friends are unaware of this fact, that application process is ~1 year long (for Round1 applicants ie.)

Legendary Member

by reachac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:03 pm
I share the same thoughts as Eric and Neo. First, most of us(atleast a large percentage) have long working hours. I know people(including me :)) who have a 12-13 hr work day. You don't need to prepare for 5-10 hrs/day to crack the GMAT, constant and planned study is the key. Make a schedule and stick to it.

Second, as Eric mentioned, business schools do look at your work history, very closely indeed. At a PI or while writing your essays, it could be
challenging for you to justify the break in your work experience.

Third, Do you actually want to quit your job rite now? I mean the situation out here in the job market isn't the rosiest.

These are just pointers though! You are your best judge, evaluate and take an informed decision.

Cheers!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vibhorsinghal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:08 am
Hi,

I too sometimes feel of quitting my coding job(software development)that doesn't intrst me neither it pays me well.I have 2.5 yrs wrk-ex as of now and i m intrstd in business and management kinda job.Sometimes it becomes so frustating at wrk place that i feel to quit at that moment only.but than i agree that if we can't tackle these situations how can we think of an MBA as an MBA must possess the skills to tackle and manage these tough situations.

At my wrk place i have to wrk for long hours and my satrdays r also wrking.I am quite skeptical about my prep with such hard wrking hrs.I have taken prep course and have a schedule for myself but as of now i m lagging behind by schedule.

I will be writing gmat on 15th july'09 and my diagnostic test was worst than ever.

I am studying on a regular basis though,almost 2hrs in morning and 1 to 1 n half hrs in evening, if possible.

My job is obviously not secure in such mkt conditions and most of my day is spent at offis.after 2.5 yrs i m not getting a gud pay at all.

All these things frustates a lot and the only option i see is to crack the GMAT in these given conditions.Afterall a gud manager must now how to deal with tough situations and still become successful.!!!

waiting for ur comments

Rgds

Vibhor
Vibhor

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by piyush_nitt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:45 am
aim-wsc wrote:srik, though you've not mentioned, on the side note I want to inform (?) you (& others who're reading this) that the you'll be enrolled to MBA class of 2012 (which would start in ~Sept 2010) IF you take GMAT in August 2009 & apply earliest.

...I hope you know about it but many of my Indian friends are unaware of this fact, that application process is ~1 year long (for Round1 applicants ie.)
Hey

This is a "news" to me.

Is it applicable to all the B-schools (Top 25) in US/UK?

Thanks mate

Cheers
Piyush

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:51 am
piyush_nitt wrote: Hey
This is a "news" to me.
Thanks mate
Cheers
Piyush
Are you serious?? You really didnt know that it'll take you atleast a year from the time you take the GMAT to get admission?? You are 300+ posts old on BtG and you didnt see anywhere on the forum all the posts about b-school application and essay writing and recos etc etc??

Begs the question: Exactly what research did you for the GMAT and MBA admission??

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 am
vibhorsinghal wrote:Hi,

I too sometimes feel of quitting my coding job(software development)that doesn't intrst me neither it pays me well.I have 2.5 yrs wrk-ex as of now and i m intrstd in business and management kinda job.Sometimes it becomes so frustating at wrk place that i feel to quit at that moment only.but than i agree that if we can't tackle these situations how can we think of an MBA as an MBA must possess the skills to tackle and manage these tough situations.

Vibhor
Vibhor, your situation is bit different than the 'thread starter'. Usually I stick to thread starter's queries. You can start other thread (may be in Lounge section.) where we discuss about your situation deeper.
I think it's not about struggling at and adjusting to unfavourable environment. sometimes changing job is wise decision.

by srik » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 pm
Great advice guys!!.. eric, neo, aim, reachac - you all have shown me the way n thanks for all the advices!! i now have a gr8 motivation... i now feel i should manage this situation which would showcase my management skills..thanks a lot....feels like its a gr8 way for me 2 start the prep...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by piyush_nitt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 pm
Neo2000 wrote:
piyush_nitt wrote: Hey
This is a "news" to me.
Thanks mate
Cheers
Piyush
Are you serious?? You really didnt know that it'll take you atleast a year from the time you take the GMAT to get admission?? You are 300+ posts old on BtG and you didnt see anywhere on the forum all the posts about b-school application and essay writing and recos etc etc??

Begs the question: Exactly what research did you for the GMAT and MBA admission??
Thanks for response Neo.

Research On GMAT exam- Yes
Research on Admission process - NO

I am really sorry to be so naive but it was really a news to me. I used to think that most of the schools start application 6 months before the actual course. So say if course starts in the month of Jan'10 , then college will start accepting applications from month of April/June'09 till September'09 or so. can you please give me summary of a process? or Can you please guide me to the right links so that I can explore further?

Thanks mate for all help!

Cheers
Piyush

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GmatGreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:33 pm
GMAT prep alone is no reason to quit one's job. IMO, that's like quitting a job to go buy a lottery ticket