question!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

question!

by mygman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 pm
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

a. same
b. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
c. but then it proved unalbe to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
d. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
e. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind it paying

OA is e.
Why isn't C a right answer? Doesn't comma suggest two independent clauses?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by this_time_i_will » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 pm
ambiguous it in C...may refer to metropolitan area as well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hi.itz.mani » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 am
Hey Mygman,

In future if possible try to hide the OA because it gives us also the chance to look into each option with a suspicion and hence help us to look into the question with a same vision/ perspective as you might have ( I am sorry for sounding a bit selfish but then I believe ... if I know the answer of a question before hand I will negate all other options by simply saying " it sounds awkward" :) )

coming back to the question

C has "its paying" which is a possesive noun + verb ing ...... and 99% of time can be considered as wrong option ...... I have read this some where but not able to recollect where.
here it should have been its + ( noun form of verb ) which is " its payment"

Doesn't comma suggest two independent clauses?
Nope it doesn't ..... and in case we find two independent clauses separated by just comma ... we can simply strike out that option based on comma splicing.
Here falling ........ is a phrase. ( clause has to have a subject and verb )
Thanks!
-Mani

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 am
Buddy,

you have typed option E in wrong way and it caused me answering it wrong. 'it' should be 'in' in option E
mygman wrote:After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

a. same
b. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
c. but then it proved unalbe to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
d. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
e. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind it paying

OA is e.
Why isn't C a right answer? Doesn't comma suggest two independent clauses?
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)