Question for Amy

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Question for Amy

by dmagnia » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:30 pm
Amy,

2 questions coming at you...

Thanks for the RFDF information and the "no-duh" answer to my recommender question. I have since been named a final four candidate for RFDF.

So, I re-took the GMAT and was unable to improve on my previous score ... I am sure it was because there were solar flares and that usually disrupts my concentration. Again, the question begs to be answered and I really despise the fact that I am asking this again BUT... what are my chances for the following schools:

Schools I would love to get into to: Tuck, Harvard (because I love to write admission essays)
Schools I would like to get into to: Virginia, Michigan
School I would go to: Indiana

Second question: Are you familiar with RFDF? I received an email stating I was a finalist about 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything since so I was curious as to its legitimacy. Thank you ma'am!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:05 pm
Hi dmangia,

By RFDF do you mean the risingfarmworkers organization? I'm not personally familiar with it, but was referred to it by another colleague. If it seems like a scam, you may want to call some of your target schools to ask. And please let us know if it's not legitimate!

I would still apply to your target schools. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will be admitted to HBS or Tuck, but it seems like a realistic assortment - though you may want another school like Emory or Austin that may be more in your range. I would advise everyone to choose a mix of schools that would be acceptable to you if possible.

Good luck!

Amy

For everyone else's benefit - here is your previous post:
dmagnia wrote:Ma’am,

I am an Army officer looking for a change. My goal is to join the corporate world in a finance capacity. I will be applying to these schools via the Consortium.

1. UVA- Darden
2. IU- Kelley
3. Dartmouth- Tuck
4. UNC

- GPA: 3.12, Major: Marketing, School: CSU, Fresno, Spring 2004

- GMAT: 650 (38Q, 41V, 4.5 AWA). Plan to retake to improve on my quantitative. Believe I can achieve a 680-700.

Work Experience
- June 5th, 2001- Commissioned as a 2LT in the CA National Guard at the age of 19.
6/5/2001-6/31/2004: Anti –Armor Platoon leader, CANG. Promoted to 1LT 1/1/2003.
6/31/2004-1/31/2005- Attended Signal Officer Basic Course
1/31/2005-7/31/2006- Squadron Signal Officer. Deployed to Iraq and was responsible for all communication aspects (tactical and morale) for a 1500 man Squadron. Promoted to Captain 1/1/2006.
7/31/2006- 1/1/2007: Signal Operations Officer: Worked at Division level integrating communications planning into all operations.
1/1/2007-present: Company Commander for a training unit that trains reserve units deploying overseas. I currently have a multi-million dollar budget, multi-million dollars worth of equipment and 97 subordinates for whom I am directly responsible for (training, safety, morale, family support etc.).

- In college, I was the V.P. for my fraternity. At that time I was also the Public Relations director for the Inter-Fraternity Council at Fresno State. I was the first brother from my chapter to be selected for an innovative leadership institute hosted by our National Organization. I played on a lot of intramural teams, volunteered with various organizations, and through my position within the fraternity either instituted new or carried through with established public service entity contacts (service, fundraising etc). Outside of college, continued playing on various intramural teams and continued to lend a hand in the community. Obviously my position within the military severely limits the amount of time that I would like to contribute within the community and my current focus is on my Soldiers and their families.

- Awards: Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Achievement Medal. Every military education course attended, I have been either an honor grad or graduated within the top 10%.

- Interesting personal facts – my father was a farm worker while my mother grew up with not a silver spoon, but perhaps a bronze one. I come from a family rich in military service and I am the first one to break into the officer ranks. I am the youngest of 3 and am the only one to continue my education past high school. I put myself through school, initially on an ROTC scholarship my first two years of college. I then worked part time throughout the remainder of my college career while serving as the youngest platoon leader in the CA National Guard. I had 18 subordinates at the time and their ages ranged from 17-45. I have tons of leadership experience and am looking forward to taking those skills and transferring them over to the civilian world. Please help assess my ability to attend a top 25 program. Thank you for your time.
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dmagnia » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:59 pm
Thank you ma'am! I will be sure to keep you posted on the rising farmworker dream fund. I thank you for your encouragement and would share with all that you never know unless you try!