Question about switching jobs?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about switching jobs?

by jaw5xs » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:45 am
Hello,

Quick question. I am currently a financial analyst at a smaller commercial real estate company. In April I accepted a job with Deloitte in their Real Estate Consulting Group. The only issue is that the position starts with their new class of Associates in October (a month from now). During the wait time, I also decided that I wanted to apply for business school this fall, to start in fall of 2016.

I think the position at Deloitte would add another level of experience for me. Will it look bad to start a new position so close to applying? Is the fact that I accepted the position in April and decided in between that time that I wanted to apply to business school a valid reason for the job change?

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:42 am
Normally I wouldn't recommend changing jobs right before you apply for business school, but if the new job is taking you one step closer to your post-MBA goals, it can be a good strategic move. You wouldn't add it to your resume, because you haven't done anything in that role yet.
However, the one issue it might raise for the admissions people at top MBA programs would be transparency: have you told Deloitte about your MBA plans? If not, it might be considered dishonest to accept a role without telling them that you don't plan to stay in for more than a year. An optional essay that discusses all of this would be a good addition to your MBA applications.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm
I think it sounds like a good move sense it is in the same industry. I think the bigger risk is the fact that you will be leaving your new employer relatively quickly and you might risk burning a bridge or leaving them feeling like you took advantage of the company. Do they know that you are planning on attending business school soon? Do you want to ever have the chance to work with them or with other close, similar companies? If so, you might want to make your plans known before you accept the offer.