question about recommendation letter

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

question about recommendation letter

by navjotk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:11 am
I am looking to apply to the masters in accounting program for 2010 at SJSU and USC, i am just interested in asking about recommendations. they require 3 recommendation letters, one of them will be from my professor at UC Berkeley another one from my District manager (i work at Wells Fargo bank) right now. the third one will come from a teacher at junior college. i feel like she knows me on a personal level. i graded papers for her as well, i know her family as well, she speaks very highly of me and i am sure she will write me a spectacular rec. letter I asked her about it and she said if you apply to SJSU she will personally go hand deliver my recommendation letter to them (we live in Cupertino, CA , around san jose area) so, I am thinking this will be a lot better then asking a professor that i do not know as well at Berkeley. what do you guys think? this teacher would be better or finding another professor at Cal, what would be more beneficial for me?
Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by Jay Allen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am
Considering that your other recommendations cover your two most important experiences--work and undergraduate--I think this is fine. If she's willing to do a great job, make sure that you take advantage and think strategically about what you need to accomplish in that recommendation.

Generally, admissions officials are very busy and don't appreciate stunts. They may look down on having a recommendation hand delivered. Of course, they could also remember you for it. I just want to point out there an element of risk there. I usually recommend to clients that they don't take any of these sort of risks if they already have a good application.

Hope that helps!

Jay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Go with your closest business relationship

by aveekguha » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 pm
An earnest recommendation wins out over a 'credentialed' recommendation everytime. I've heard stories of admissions directors getting recommendations from execs saying that they don't know this person well, but based on what they see, they'll be fine -- not exactly ringing endorsement.

Go with someone who is passionate about you & your qualities -- wins out every time.

Aveek Guha
President, MBA Day Camp
www.mbadaycamp.com