Question about GRE vs. GMAT...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Question about GRE vs. GMAT...

by bigeater1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:06 pm
Hello,

My question is regarding a friend's situation:

He took the GMAT, did relatively poorly (550), and had his scores sent to schools. However, he just found out that his top choice school - NYU Stern, now accepts GRE.

If he were to take the GRE (which is significantly easier than the GMAT) and do well, how would the adcom view it? When you take GMAT twice, they simply disregard the lower score... but what about when you take one GMAT and one GRE?

I should note that the rest of his app is stellar, with a good gpa, non profit exp, international volunteer work, and much more. His biggest fault is his poor standardized test performance.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 am
Dear bigeater1,

Great question! First, the GRE is not "significantly easier" than the GMAT; it is simply different. It is possible your friend will do better on the GRE, but it is also possible he will not if he struggles with standardized tests. If he does take the GRE and scores well, then he should send those scores to NYU. It is possible the school will only use the test with the best scores, but it is also possible the admissions committee will still consider both in his evaluation. I think it might be worth contacting NYU directly for clarification on how they will handle applicants submitting both the GMAT and GRE; then your friend will know definitively.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me