Question 9

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question 9

by anshulagarwal12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 am
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year in for a "soft landing", followed by a gradual increase in business activity

a. that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year
b. in the economy to avoid the recession, that many feared earlier in the year, rather to come
c. in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come
d. in the economy to avoid the recession many was fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come
e. that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

Here, I rejected A & E because I preferred "in" over that
D usage of tense is not correct
C economy's ability is redundant

So I choose B. But answer is A. can anyone explain?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:59 am
Please share the source

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Ludacrispat26 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 am
anshulagarwal12 wrote:According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year in for a "soft landing", followed by a gradual increase in business activity

a. that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year
b. in the economy to avoid the recession, that many feared earlier in the year, rather to come
c. in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come
d. in the economy to avoid the recession many was fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come
e. that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

Here, I rejected A & E because I preferred "in" over that
D usage of tense is not correct
C economy's ability is redundant

So I choose B. But answer is A. can anyone explain?
You are transcribing the question incorrectly:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gains-in-the ... 96364.html

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... 10338.html
Don't stop believin'...