Ques : See something from someone else’s perspective..

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Experts/btgmaters,

Any tips on the following essay..?/

"Please describe a time when you came to see something from someone else's perspective, or when your opinion was changed by listening and learning from others. "

I am trying to put together a story of my transition from one industry to another as both of them are really diverse. I think as I am trying to weave an entire experience rather than one specific story, my essay is not coming out well.

At least for now, I cant think of any experience where my opinion changed.

1) So any examples would help.

2) Pls provide inputs on the following eg.

One example I could think of was when I tried to hire a blind person in my team. But he rejected the offer because he wanted to work in some other function. I was very surprised as it is not easy for people with different abilities to get hired so easily.Before the interview, I was thinking that the candidate would be happy to be interviewed. And since he is aware of his shortcoming, he would readily take up this job.
But later on I felt that he was right in rejecting this offer. So my outlook changed towards him or any person who is differently abled. We shouldn't just assume and take things for granted. Just because of some shortcoming in a person, we should not think that we are doing any favor. I mean I never took them for granted as I genuinely wanted to help him out. But there was a slight feeling of mercy which I had and it changed.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 am
I like the hiring example, but you would need to be very careful not to seem condescending. Be sure you show how it changed YOU, what you learned and how you carried that moment forward.
Tani Wolff

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ECLS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:I like the hiring example, but you would need to be very careful not to seem condescending. Be sure you show how it changed YOU, what you learned and how you carried that moment forward.
Thanks Tani. You make a brilliant point. I will keep that in mind while writing my essay.

cheers..!!