Q498 from 1000SC

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Q498 from 1000SC

by target790 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:05 am
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.
(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.
(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.
(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

OA:E

Any inputs why not C?
I feel presence of them in E is ambiguous as it may refer to mountainous regions as well.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Q498 from 1000SC

by madhur_ahuja » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 am
target790 wrote:Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.
(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.
(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.
(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

OA:E

Any inputs why not C?
I feel presence of them in E is ambiguous as it may refer to mountainous regions as well.
dotting in C is wrong because they are currently not dotting.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by target790 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am
I'm really sorry but I'm confused with the above explanation.

I don't see any indication that the monasteries created centuries ago are not existing anymore.

Even option E doesn't proves that point

by madhur_ahuja » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 am
target790 wrote:I'm really sorry but I'm confused with the above explanation.

I don't see any indication that the monasteries created centuries ago are not existing anymore.

Even option E doesn't proves that point
There is a difference. They do exist and but are not dotting anymore.

Its like saying
Actresses of hollywood are blessed with good luck.

You won't say
Good luck is blessing the actresses of hollywood.

There is a difference. Second is present progressive and is grammatically different meaning.

In both cases, actresses DO exist.

by Spring2009 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 pm
Now I see why "many of them" in E is correct and not confused with hundreds of monasteries. I think we have to say "many of which" if it refers to "hundreds of monasteries" because "hundreds of monasteries" is the objective. (Hope I get this correctly).

But I'm wondering what's wrong with A?

"Many of them ...., the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia ..."
Doesn't it parallel?