Q.178 PS, GMAT REVIEW 13TH EDITION

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Q.178 PS, GMAT REVIEW 13TH EDITION

by Priyaranjan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 am
Q. Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40% experienced sweaty palms, 30% experienced vomiting and 75% experienced dizziness. If all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35% of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects, how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects?
A) 105
B) 125
C) 130
D) 180
E) 195

Can it be solved using Venn diagrams?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:06 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:24 pm
Yes, this can certainly be solved using a Venn diagram; I've posted that solution here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/plz-explain- ... tml#738130
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 am
Priyaranjan wrote:Q. Of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40% experienced sweaty palms, 30% experienced vomiting and 75% experienced dizziness. If all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35% of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects, how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects?
A) 105
B) 125
C) 130
D) 180
E) 195

Can it be solved using Venn diagrams?
Solution:

This is a 3-circle Venn Diagram problem in which we can use the following formula:

Total # of Unique Elements = # in (Group A) + # in (Group B) + # in (Group C) - # in (Groups of Exactly Two) - 2 [#in (Group of Exactly Three)] + # in (Neither)

Next we can label our groups with the information presented.

# in Group A = # who experienced sweaty palms

# in Group B = # who experienced vomiting

# in Group C = # who experienced dizziness

We are given that of the 300 subjects who participated in an experiment using virtual-reality therapy to reduce their fear of heights, 40 percent experienced sweaty palms, 30 percent experienced vomiting, and 75 percent experienced dizziness.

We can solve for the number in each group:

# who experienced sweaty palms = 300 x 0.4 = 120

# who experienced vomiting = 300 x 0.3 = 90

# who experienced dizziness = 300 x 0.75 = 225

We are also given that all of the subjects experienced at least one of these effects and 35 percent of the subjects experienced exactly two of these effects.

This means the following:

# in Groups of Exactly Two = 300 x 0.35 = 105

Since all the subjects experienced at least one of the effects it means that the # in (Neither) is equal to zero. We can now plug in all the information we have into our formula, in which T represents # in (Group of Exactly Three).

Total # of Unique Elements = # in (Group A) + # in (Group B) + # in (Group C) - # in (Groups of Exactly Two) - 2 [#in (Group of Exactly Three)] + # in (Neither)

300 = 120 + 90 + 225 - 105 - 2T + 0

300 = 330 - 2T

30 = 2T

15 = T

Now that we have determined a value for T, we are very close to finishing the problem. The question asks how many of the subjects experienced only one of these effects.

To determine this we can set up one final formula.

Total = # who experienced only 1 effect + # who experienced two effects + # who experienced all 3 effects + # who experienced no effects

We can let x represent the # who only experienced 1 effect.

300 = x + 105 + 15 + 0

300 = x + 120

180 = x

The answer is D

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews