Public Library

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Public Library

by neha.patni » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 am
The public library allocated the revenues it received from the recently passed tax initiative to the purchasing of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers.

(A) to the purchasing of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(B) in order to purchase more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(C) so as to purchase more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(D) so that more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers could be purchased
(E) for the purchase of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers

OA Later

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 pm
neha.patni wrote:The public library allocated the revenues it received from the recently passed tax initiative to the purchasing of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers.

(A) to the purchasing of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(B) in order to purchase more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(C) so as to purchase more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers
(D) so that more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers could be purchased
(E) for the purchase of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers

OA Later
The proper idiom is--

Allocate XX to YY.

=> Allocate revenues ....... to something.

Only A matches this idiom.

I don't know if there are other thing in this SC. if this idiom is not tested in this SC, all the four options except A seem correct.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ptandon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 pm
I'd go for E.

Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:25 pm
Correct idiom is allocate to so A
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:30 pm
One more vote for 'E'.
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 pm
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/allocate

1 : to apportion for a specific purpose or to particular persons or things : distribute <allocate tasks among human and automated components>
2 : to set apart or earmark : designate <allocate a section of the building for special research purposes>

E for me as well.

by neha.patni » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:18 am
neha.patni wrote:The public library allocated the revenues it received from the recently passed tax initiative to the purchasing of more than two thousand books, fifty journal subscriptions, and fifteen computers.

OA Later
OA A

It is only the idiom problem and allocated to is the correct idiom, but i marked B, but now when i read the question again, i realize it has to be A

GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:41 am
Neha, what's the source of this question?
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by everlast_666 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 am
Allocated.... To Idiom

I would go with answer " A " though it sounds awkward It seems correct.

Kishore.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 am
Merriam Webster had the example of "allocated...for". So I doubt E is wrong. It might be different idioms.
Yep.

by neha.patni » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:01 am
tomada wrote:Neha, what's the source of this question?
Kaplan 800

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 am
neha.patni wrote:

OA Later
OA A

It is only the idiom problem and allocated to is the correct idiom, but i marked B, but now when i read the question again, i realize it has to be A
i dont see any idiom in A. why is a noun after to? ]
E would make more sense however i chose B and why B is incorrect?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by muralithe1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm
But "to the purchasing' sounds akward to me....shldn't it be "to the purchase of"????

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:20 pm
I got it wrong and choose B. However, I agree that answer should be A, because of the correct idiom

OA Later
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 am
This question tests the usage of the idiom - allocate to

Here is one more way of looking at this:

When we allocate something we always allocate it to something or someone. Till we do not specify who or what the item is allocated to, the sentence seems incomplete.

Now using this logic, choices B, C, and D are eliminated since they do not specify the entity to which or to whom the revenues are allocated. ( Let me know if this helps the people who marked Choice B)

Now we are down to choices A and E. A is the correct choice because of the use of correct idiom - allocate to.

Thanks,

Payal