Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mastahan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:39 am
HI

I am an Asian male, double majored in Computer Science and Bus-Econ with a 3.65 gpa from a top 20 ugrad, and got a MS in Computer Science with a 3.67 gpa. However, my gmat is only a 700 (Q86% V83%). I have 5 years WE at a fortune 500 engineering firm with many technical lead and business development experiences . Do you think I need to get a higher gmat to be competitve at a top 7 school. I dont now if i should take the gmat again or focus more on my essays. If i take the gmat again, i think the highest I can get is a 730

thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:55 pm
Hi Mastahan,

As I said in my last response (see below), the process is holistic and I would not overstate the importance of the GMAT score in the process. Your GMAT is slightly lower than the mean at the very top schools, but at the same time you have a strong GPA in a difficult major.

I hesitate to say yes or no on the retake, because it still depends on whether the 700 is the best of a few tries, the first try, etc. If you could easily get a 730, sure, retake it. If not, it might be worth your time to improve other weaknesses in your application because your academics are fine to good.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy Ulrich wrote:Hi mastahan,

A 700 GMAT is very good.

As far as retaking the test - it really depends. Was that the first time you took the test, or the best score you have gotten out of many? Are you part of a demographic that tends towards higher GMAT scores? What are you hoping to address with a higher GMAT score?

As we have said a few times, the process is holistic. Therefore it is generally most useful to look at the entire package you are working with, and see what areas might be helpful to spend the most time on. From what you have said, academics seem fine/good and maybe you have other weaknesses (volunteering, leadership, etc) that may be a better use of your time to address rather than spending a lot of time on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by cgiles01 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:07 pm
Mastahan,

I look at the GMAT this way: If you believe you can increase your score to 730, try. You have nothing to lose; you have plenty of time to write essays. The 30 pt. increase moves your application from the potential admit pile to the real horsepower pile. A move from a 700 to a 730 moves you 30% closer to perfection, that’s significant. I just retook the test and improved from a 710 to a 730 and I’m so glad I did!

My advice: Retake it. Get r done!

Chris
Giles

by mastahan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:30 pm
hi,

i was told that if i get a lower score the second time arount it would adversly affect my application. Is this true? For example say I go from a 700 to a 670 the second time.

thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm
The school will consider the highest score. It's unlikely your score would go down so significantly as to adversely affect your application.
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting