Profile for MBA (product development and innovation)

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690
Hello

Can you evaluate my chances for the following PART TIME programs

Entry: Fall 2010 (I will be 33/34)

GMAT: 640 (V35/74%, Q43/68%) AWA 5.0. Please evaluate me with 700, I know with this score, I am not going to be competitive. I WILL get 700

UG GPA: 3.3/3.4 from Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science (Dean honor list for the last 2 years)

Master of mechanical engineering from Johns Hopkins University (Full fellowship)

WE: 10 years (Mechanical Engineer in telecomm, defense, and consumer electronics)

First generation immigrant (moved here when I was 14) from Taiwan, fluent in Mandarin and other Chinese dialects

My post MBA goal is to stay in the engineering/technology sector. My short-term goal is to get into product management with the long term goal being in a leadership position responsible for new product development with emphasis on innovation.

I believe my background in design and manufacturing with electronics (either be military or consumer) will be important components with my goal

Part-Time program

NYU

Carnegie Mellon (The specialty track of innovation and product development)

Michigan

UCLA (decision, operation, technology management and/or high-technology management)

Berkeley (similar as above)

Kellog (technology industry management)

NYU because I am local and attending part time means I don't have to relocate. But I am willing to relocate and find a job where I get accepted (I believe my diverse engineering background should land me a job thru the part-time duration). I have already taken Booth off the list.

International experience wise, my lastest company has manufacturing facilities in China and I work closely with them and have traveled there on multiple occasions to support production. And this is the main reason I am considering an MBA at this point. I believe my knowledge in manufacturing with my cultural/language advantage will supplement the whole innovation/development process very well.

I see several weaknesses

1. GMAT is horrible. It is funny for someone like me to get better grades on V than Q.

2. EC: weak/non-exist EC in college. Post-UG, I served a year on the board for my CO-OP building and to me it was actually a very good business experience

3. Flat career progress. The companies I have worked for all have very flat structures so I have not had many fancy title changes.

4. I am wondering if I should take Michigan off the list. It seems like it is a great school for operation and I don't want other school adcom to see this as a lack of focus? I believe I will be able to defend my decision of having NYU as an option.

Thanks....

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am
Thank you for your question. I'll be honest that I don't know as much about the part time programs as I do about the full time but I will still give you as complete a response as I can.

The biggest challenge you face is your age, although a part time program does largely mitigate that concern. If you were applying to the full time programs at those schools it would be more of an issue.

I wouldn't worry particularly about the flat structure. The schools aren't looking for title changes, they're looking for responsibility expansion. If you can show that you have taken on larger projects or more leadership of projects or more complexity, that can be enough to show progress.

Although the lack of community activities is a concern, I actually do agree with you that a co-op board can teach lessons that can easily be discussed in an essay about leadership, teamwork, mistakes, team failures, relationship building, problem solving, etc. Don't forget to explore the third category of possible topics (beyond work experience and community experience) - personal stories. Here's a brief discussion: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/06/ ... stories-2/ Between your own story and experiences, your international experiences and your co-op board, you may be able to find enough to show yourself as well-rounded.

I didn't understand one aspect of your question:
I am wondering if I should take Michigan off the list. It seems like it is a great school for operation and I don't want other school adcom to see this as a lack of focus? I believe I will be able to defend my decision of having NYU as an option.
I read this to mean you're concerned about how an admissions officer at, for example, Haas would react to seeing you also apply to Michigan. Is that the right interpretation? If so, it's not something you need to worry about. Few schools ask for a list of the other schools you're applying to, and while they may ask that in an interview it would not make or break their decision about whether to accept you.

And yes, you should work hard to pull up the GMAT. With a 700 there and some emphasis in the essays on showing multiple facets of your experience, I think you'll be a strong candidate at the schools you list.

Best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php