Profile for evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile for evaluation

by ikant » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:16 am
Hello,

I have taken my GMAT and TOEFL exams and also applied to a few schools. However, I wasn't able to secure an
admit with any of them. In the following paragraphs I have listed the gist of my profile for you to guide me in my
endeavour for an MBA.

I have taken GMAT in Aug 2006 and scored a 700 ( 93%, breakup:: Verbal -> 37( 83% ), Quant -> 48( 86% ), AWA ->
5.5( 87% ) ).

I scored a 118 on the TOEFL CBT taken in Sep 2007. I had applied to the following schools:

1). Tepper School of Business
2). Darden School of Business
3). Anderson, UCLA
4). Kenan Flagler, UIUC
5). Indian School of Business.

I am an engineer both by education and profession. I did my B.Tech in Information Technology from G.B.Pant
University, Pantnagar, India. My CGPA on a 10 point scale was 8.7. I am also the recipient of the Vice
Chancellors’ Gold Medal for academic excellence.

I have been with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for two and a half years now. I started as a trainee but
since has received three promotions to serve as a Technical Lead now. My responsibility ranges from being a design
architect to that of a customer relationship manager for Hewlett Packard ( HP ) - TCS relationship. Some of my
landmark achievements during my career have been pitching for fresh R&D budget for a dying product, delivering a
time critical solution to a major stock exchange in Europe and securing a client in Japan.

All throughout my life as a student and as a professional I have followed my passions for fine arts and sports.I
have been a free lancer creative with OpenAd, an online open consortium for advertising professionals and have
worked on assignments for companies as FHM Mobile and DIY stores. I have lead the Engineering Society, the major
student body at my college and was also the founder of various hobby clubs dedicated at arts as dancing and
dramatics. I am an avid lawn tennis player and have won titles at district and university platforms.

To top this is my passion for the stock markets. I am a technical analyst and trades a mutual fund that manages assets of 12 lacs INR. Though small I have managed to garner an ROI of 23% half yearly.

I have also published research papers at various technical confluences across the country. One of my research on " Emotional Intelligence in AI shells" was awarded best original idea at Apogee, annual technical confluence at BITS, Pilani. I also write a fortnightly newsletter that is avidly read by over 100 exclusive traders on the Indian Stock Market.

Kindly do let me know if you may need any other information in order to evaluate my profile fit. I want to do an MBA in Finance, more specifically in Investment Banking.

Thanks,
iKant
"To do is to be"

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:29 am
Dear iKant:

While your profile is commendable, it is unfortunately one seen very frequently by the schools you listed. An applicant with a 700+ GMAT, an engineering degree, and a few years of technical experience (consulting or otherwise) is the most common profile seen from applicants in India. Thus it makes it hard for you to distinguish yourself in the eyes of the admissions committees.

You can approach this predicament a couple different ways. First, you can re-apply to 3-4 of those schools taking advantage of any opportunity to meet with a school representative you can and even trying to visit campus.

A second approach would be to idenitfy 2-3 schools outside the top 15 (in most rankings) to target. There are some great schools in the 20-50 ranking that might find your profile more compelling as their volume of applications might be lower. With these schools, you might also increase your chances of any scholarship funds as well. If you do some research, I think you will find that many can offer you the same curriculum and career opportunities as the top 10.

Finally, regardless of where you apply, you will need to ensure you are highlighting unique attributes of your background in your essays and interviews. All applicants, no matter their background, need to set themselves apart from the applicant pool in a positive way.

Hope I gave you some ideas. Don't give up and best of luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 pm
interesting profile indeed!

make sure while writing your application essays, to mention your unique abilities & experience /exposure that set you apart from other IIMs (Indian IT Males) crowd ;)

by ikant » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 pm
Hello,

Many thanks for the response given by you all. I will surely keep these pointers in mind.

I have two further queries:

1). Since I have 8 months before the next application cycle starts, shall I take the GMAT again. One of my counsellor told me that it is tough to make into the top league without a 750 on GMAT.

2). Out of the different areas that I have mentioned in my profile what do you think should I focus more upon to differentiate myself. I have 8 months left so I could really cahnnle my efforts in one specific direction.

Kindly reply to the post.

Million thanks,
iKant
"To do is to be"

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:48 pm
Dear iKant:

A higher score will not hurt you, but distinguishing yourself in the eyes of the committee is the most important thing. You should definitely apply in the first round. As I said before, take every opportunity to meet with a school respresentative or alumnus as you can. From your profile, I would say to use your outside interests to your advantage. It seems like you have done quite a bit of writing with the newsletter and the advertising forum. Also you mentioned experience with international clients. Did you visit them or meet directly with those clients? Perhaps those were interesting experiences that taught you something? Just think about how your life experiences have shaped you into who you are and brought you to the decision to pursue your MBA.

Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by ikant » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:22 am
Hello,

I am grateful for the responses that I have recived from people here. Since, it seems I need to capitalize on my extra curriculars to make a mark, I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have listed below certain hobbies that I have followed with great passion and energy. Before you may review them, may I add that I have followed all these activities to the fullest of my capabilities.

1). Stock Markets :: I manage a private partnership that invests on Indian stock market. I publish an online newsletter for traders regarding trading the markets.

2). Advertising :: I founded an advertisement agency that worked for OpenAd.

3). Sports :: I have won titles in tennis and has been a part of the tennis and hockey teams at the college.

4). Work at Undergraduate College:: I served as the head of student body and introduced the democratic election process. I founded Hobby Clubs to nurture fine arts talent in the college.

5). Debating n Dramatics :: I have won awards at International level contests for my college.I Have written and directed plays on social causes. I have also worked with Mumbai film fraternity on short creative films.

The issue that I face is of prioritizing these activities when it comes to writing the B School application. I would like to have pointers as to which of these hobbies needs to be emphasised for me having a realistic chance at the school.

I may reiterate for your reference that I seek STERN or Stanford as I need to enter the Investment Banking business pot graduation.

Million thanks,
iKant
"To do is to be"

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:43 pm
While you should mention all these points in anyway you can,
point no. 2 & 5 look more impressiive to me.

Also, if you emphasis on your work on social cause that would be great.

by sampleresume » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:50 pm
thanks, lisa