Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by jzuloaga » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 pm
Hi!

Am a little worried....just took the GMAT and got a 650 (Q47, V33) :(!

My major was Industrial Management (Purdue university) GPA 3.41 - May 1998.

Worked for Ingersoll Rand for 6 years doing everything from Manufacturing Engineering to International Credit management for latin america. After this opened my own business (mortgage broker - two small offices 6 employees) and was a Real Estate Agent with Re/Max in Minneapolis for 3 years (commission money from Re/Max in 3 years about $420K).
Not a real estate agent anymore cause got bored and market as you may know tanked. Continue to have my mortgage business and currently also have investments in construction.

First Question: am 32 years old, am I too old for a top B_School?

Second: I really want to get in to a Top 10 or 12 if possible;). My GPA is not so great but last two years of school were really good I think pretty much all A's. The Gmat is low. Quantitative I think is a lot better, do you think that would help? Should I take the GMAT again?

Also have done almost all classes necessary for getting an accounting equivalent major from University of Minnesota (about a 3.35 GPA there - 16 credits (Intermediate 1 and 2, Tax law and Audit).
Have done work helping the hispanic community through a local Latino Foundation.

Please tell me how do you see me?

THANKS!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:46 pm
Dear jzuloaga:

With your amount of professional experience, you have the option of an executive MBA program. A traditional full-time program is still an option, but you might get asked why you are interested in a full-time verus executive MBA. Because you will be on the higher end of experience/age range for most full-time programs, your job search will not be the typical one that your classmates with the average 4-6 years of experience will have (and is the majority of on-campus opportunities).

So, if you would consider an executive program, then the GMAT score might not matter as many of these programs do not require it or do not use it as heavily in the admissions decision. Should you decide to pursue a full-time program at a top 20, then I would encourage you to retake the test to try to get your score up at least 20-50 points. You might get accepted with the 640, but it can never hurt to raise your score.

I do think your entrepreneurial experience is great and your undergraduate academic record is strong. The main aspect to your application will be your rationale for why a MBA, why now, and how does the program address what you are looking for in a curriculum and career opportunities.

Best of luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dmagnia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:02 pm
dude, do not get hung up on your GMAT score...take it again if and only if you are confident you can score better! plus your quantitative score is pretty decent...try the manhattan gmat books for verbal.

also, your gpa is not bad...i think you are in a good position to land top 15-top 20 but that is just my opinion. you just never know when it comes to admissions!

lastly, if applying to full time programs apply through the consortium (www.cgsm.org)...your work in the latin community should enable you to qualify.

good luck!

My Profile

by jzuloaga » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 am
Thanks Lisa and Daniel for the advise, I really appreciate it!

It's just that I am currently so downbeat about the Gmat situation, I thought I prepared solidly for a month and half and was actually doing pretty decently in the verbal section in practice tests, am a little heart broken right now at the 650 and am torn between taking it again or not.

In the application, do you guys think I should include the Accounting classes I took at University of Minnesota? Would a recommendation from my accounting teacher help?

I did think about the executive programs, but haven't had great feedback from some colleagues that went through them, apparently the level of participation and interest from students in an executive program isn't as motivating as in a Full Time program, I just much rather get the solid experience of going through a mainstream program.

Would the fact that I am a non-native speaker help me a little when it comes to evaluating my gmat score? I mean I would never try to play that foolish card of "oh have compassion for me because am foreign born and my english is subpar" (by the way I wouldn't be considered International Student because I do have a green card, would that help?)....But a 47Q 33V means that at least I got a decent math grade right? Also, my degree demanded that I take most of the engineering calculus classes as opposed to the business calculus classes, I remember those being hard! Specially cause Purdue is an engineering school and they really beat you up in those calculus wheat out classes. Are admissions officers going to take a careful look at my transcript or is it that beyond the GPA the transcript details are not really worth much? Does having 4 semesters with semester honors in your undergrad help?

Daniel - thanks for that CGSM tip buddy, have gotten a password for the website, let's see what I can get from them ;)...Any further advice that you may have?

Lisa - I really wanted to start this fall with my MBA, I know it is R3 and it will be difficult to get accepted, will send next week applications for NYU, UCLA and UT AUSTIN. Besides my age, do you think that emphasizing on my entrepreneurial experience would give me the edge...I mean I truly think I can contribute quite a bit when it comes to project work that has to do with opening small business, sales, tax laws and such...any further advice that you may have?

Thank you so much again for your help! Any advise at this crucial time for me is vital! Please let me know your thoughts.

PEACE!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:00 am
Dear jzuloaga:

As you are applying late, it looks like you will have to "roll the dice" and go with your current score. If you think you can prepare for the exam and retake it to increase your score by the deadline, than I still think that could be helpful for you as a R3 applicant. The admissions committees do look at the full transcript, especially at your quantitative/analytical courswork and are familiar with the rigor of engineering programs. So you do have a strong academic record to balance out your GMAT score.

I think it would be helpful for the admissions committees to know you are taking some classes as it shows your motivation, but a recommendation from the instructor is not necessary. It is best to know your recommenders for over a year in a professional setting.

Just remember to highlight your professional accomplishments and demonstrate your leadership skills in your application. I think you probably have plenty of examples/antecdotes/stories that you can draw from as you answer essay and interview questions.

Take a deep breath, focus, and be confident. Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Regarding My application

by jzuloaga » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 pm
Hi Lisa!

Say I had a quick question for you, I am here finishing the details of my application and I wanted to know if you had heard about the Dale Carnegie Training, I did this course a few years back and wanted to include it in my resume... Do you think that admissions might have heard about this training? I mean it was really great and I did want to add it as a positive thing I've done in my life, but just didn't really want to include it if it doesn't really mean much to them.

Thanx!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm
Dear jzuloaga:

I am familiar with the Dale Carnegie training, but that doesn't mean all admissions people will be. If you found it helpful and want to include it, then you should. You might just give a very brief description of it, but not necessary as they will look it up if they have a question about it.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me