Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by alpha87 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm
GMAT: 660/5.5
GPA: 4.0/4.0 from Rutgers, School of Engineering

Publications: 4 Research Papers published in IEEE Conferences
Talks: 2 Talks in IEEE Conferences

Experience:
- Will have 4 Years of experience in a Global Consulting Firm at the start of school year
- Significant Experience with working with and leading Global Teams

Schools I am targeting:
- Duke
- Carnegie Mellon
- Cornell
- NYU
- MIT (might be out of reach but still would like to try)
- Darden
- UNC

What are the chances at the schools listed above?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 am
Hi Alpha, and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, you do not give me enough information to answer it! There are basically three broad categories the AdCom will be assessing you on and I only know how you fare against them in a couple of areas. They are: academics (both GMAT and gpa) - I have what I need here! Second is work experience, not just in terms of the industry, which you gave me, but in terms of accomplishments and how your work shows leadership potential. What were the results of the teams you led? How have your responsibilities increased? How have you shown leadership traits, like initiative, decision-making, driving results? The other missing part of this category in your description is your career goals. How does your past experience prepare you for your future role? Is there a logical flow from what you have done to what you want to do - and how will the MBA help? Finally the third category is best described as "engagement with the world" - do you volunteer with any community organizations? Are there people you help out informally? Have you reached any personal goals or milestones?

The business schools will want to understand all facets of your experience and with the limited profile you describe, I do not have enough information to assess you properly. I can say that the GMAT is on the low side for most if not all the schools on your list, but probably does not put any of them out of reach (with the possible exceptions of MIT and NYU). Again though, I would want to know the breakdown of your scores on a percentage basis to feel confident with my answer.

Best,

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php