profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation

by joey » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 pm
hi Stacy
I have been following your blog very closely for the last couple of months.The information you provide is extremely helpful to all the MBA aspirants.
I was wondering if you could comment on my profile and address on the areas of weakness.I do understand that the AC looks at a complete profile instaed of certain areas but any comment from your side would be helpful.

I am from a very non tarditional MBA background.I obtained my bachelors in Engg from India and Masters in bioengineering from Louisiana .GPA > 3.6 for both degrees. I have been working for over 2.5 years (not considering my work as Research assistant during my masters)now in biotech sector specifially in drug development for neurodegenation and neutrpenia.I am very keen to move into product deveopment and marketing in biotech and hence getting an MBA is an absolute necessity at this point.
I have been very active in various extracurricular activities.i love taeching and help kids with SAT prep.i teach 1-1 and also associated with various tutoring centers. i am also very active with the bayarea chapter of ASHA,an organisation helping underpriviledged children in India.
My husband and my self are also an integral part of a school in India which was started by a family freind of ours.We do organise various fundraisers for the school.

Where do you thnk i should apply?I live in the bayarea so i would ideally wnat to go to school here ...what do you think?
BTW my GMAT was pretty average 680 ...i dont thnk i have a chance to it take it again as all the deadlines are fast approaching...

Thanks a lot
Joey

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:27 am
Hi Joey,
You sound like a very solid, well rounded candidate and I think you will have a good chance at a top school, but it will come down to how you express yourself in your essays, and how you speak to some of the very interesting extra-curriculars that you described, as well as your work experience. Some aspects of your background are actually fairly common for business schools, especially in the Bay Area. For this reason, while I certainly encourage you to pursue your top choices, I think you may have a better chance at some schols that are not on the west coast. For marketing expertise, you may want to explore Kellogg or Michigan. For slightly less competitive schools, you may want to look at McCombs or Darden.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me